British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-12, 09:59 AM

Default 28th LRVC 2nd Manchester

Anyone got any information on the insignia worn by the 28th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps c1860 ? I've had a look through Kipling and King and some other badge books, but no luck.
Old 23-11-12, 06:37 PM

Irishhorse,

Sorry I cannot help, I note in Westlakes " Tracing the Rifle Volunteers" that the 28th Lancs ( 2nd Manchester ) R.V.C. was made up of Irishmen living in Manchester.I presume that is the reason for your interest.

I have had a look though a couple of sources I have that deal with the Lancashire Rifle Volunteers for items of insignia to that unit but without success. I could help if it was the Liverpool Irish Rifle Volunteers you were interested in.

I see that the 28th LRVC only existed from 1860 to 1864 and it may be that they might not have had their own badges, using general pattern R.V. insignia.

Some units only appear to have had a bugle horn badge with the Corps number in the centre.

Well worth contacting the Museum of the Manchesters in Ashton to see if they can be of any help.

Good luck. If you do find any information please post on the Forum.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-11-12, 07:06 PM

Found a mention of the unit in the attached article but that is all just a brief mention.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (98.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img002.jpg (90.9 KB, 42 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 23-11-12 at 07:40 PM.
Old 24-11-12, 01:42 PM

Default 28th LRVC Irish Company

Thanks Peter. Yes I'm interested in the Irish company of the 28th, also found that the 31st Oldham LRVC had and Irish company, formed c1883. But can find little information on either of these companies.
Old 05-12-18, 05:16 PM

Typo, and can't edit the above post. The Oldham Irish company were fully formed by June 1863. Not 1883.

Last edited by irishhorse; 07-12-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 06:53 PM

Not sure if this gives any leads

http://www.lancashireinfantrymuseum....le-volunteers/

cheers, Dave
Old 06-12-18, 09:40 AM

No mention of the units I'm interested in. But still interesting.
Old 06-12-18, 11:08 AM

Hello,

Sorry for arriving late for this post but I suppose I am the person who can probably answer it best.
The 28th (2nd Manchester)RVC was a prestigious RVC and the second of 4 that were raised with 'Manchester' in their title.
Can I say firstly that they were NOT a Corps of Irishmen. They may have had a single Company raised as Irishmen similar to the Scottish Company of the 78th Lancs RVC but probably no more than that.

Information on the 28th LRVC is very hard to find, but were raised in Manchester in 1860 and by 1864 had been amalgamated into the 33rd LRVC.

They certainly had their own insignia, see first photo for my ONLY example, an 1860 Hallmarked Silver Officers Pouch Belt Plate. The Photo shows what I believe are officers of the 28th LRVC and wearing the same PBP as mine. Note they have their own Shako plates also. The uniform is grey and best guess is red facings.

If an Irish company existed they may have dressed differently and had their own Irish themed badges? Who knows?

In the Lancashire & Cheshire Vounteer Review November 1860 is an article on No. 6 (Burnage) Company of the 28th LRVC which describes the presentation of a silver bugle. Fortunately I also own that bugle, and these two items are the only 28th items I have ever seen.

The Lancashire Museum is no good for your research as it does not cover the units of the Manchester Regiment, which the 28th LRVC eventually became part of (5th (Ardwick)VB), for this you need the Museum of the Manchester Regiment at Ashton under Lyne and the archives at the nearby Local Studies Library.

However as a member of the Museum Committee and a frequent visitor to the archives I can tell you there are no badges in the Museum (which is closed) or documents that I have yet found in the archives.

Hope this helps.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28th LRVC Officers Shoulder Belt Plate 1860-64.jpg (74.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 28thLancsRVC.jpg (43.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BurnageBugle.jpg (109.8 KB, 9 views)

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 06-12-18, 12:27 PM

Simon thanks for the additional information. I've managed to find a little info on the Irish Company. The Loyal Irish Volunteers first proposed in November 1859. 17/12/1859 "The Irish Company attested at 55 King Street. The company parade at 37 Corporation Street, where their rifles are kept. For shooting practice the company acquired a private ground at Bleakley". Election of officers to be Capt John Porteus, Lieutenant Henry Grey and Ensign George Beattie.
The Irish Company after some organisation. Became the 9th Company of the 2nd Manchester Volunteer Regiment. Which was accepted by the War Office as the 28th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps 28/01/1860. The Irish Company was also presented with a silver bugle on 23/03/1860. "Manchester Irish Volunteers first appearance in public" 17/03/1860. "Manchester Irish now Company 5 of the 28th LRV" February 1864.
A second Irish Company was being recruited. And was later added as the 10th Company 28th LRV. After the 28th were incorporated into the 33rd Ardwick Volunteers. The names John Porteus (Major) and George Beattie (Captain) were still on the 33rd's list in 1869.
Information came from a number of sources, including newspaper articles. Any corrections welcome.

Last edited by irishhorse; 06-12-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 12:35 PM

Very interesting information.

Where did you find it?

The private ground will be at Blackley, rather than 'Bleakley'.

regards

Old 06-12-18, 12:41 PM

Some info here:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...nchester+irish

P.B.

Old 06-12-18, 12:45 PM

Thanks Peter,

I recall that lovely medal thread now.
Some excellent information there.

I wonder where the chap found it all?

regards

Old 06-12-18, 01:56 PM

Default Manchester Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Very interesting information.

Where did you find it?

The private ground will be at Blackley, rather than 'Bleakley'.

regards
Most of it came from the British Library online newspaper archive.
Old 06-12-18, 02:01 PM

Thanks

Old 06-12-18, 03:12 PM

Lancashire Records Office in Preston have some info on a lot of the Lancashire RVC/Militia etc.
The code 1863 (LN 14/1) is at the bottom of the attached taken from the handlist.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 652061D5-D402-4D73-BFB6-A9F3FF81A8E4.jpg (34.9 KB, 12 views)