British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-08, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hi Chris, can you tell me what is the round thingy Pte.Kelly is wearing behind hi Para badge?
Cheers
Jo
The green backing used to be worn by recruits that had passed off the square (week 4)but had not passed "P" coy(week 12).Obviously this was in the days when all the recruit training was in Aldershot.Since all recruits now do CMS then go to ITC for further training i dont know how it works.
Old 30-08-08, 04:49 PM

Default Badge fittings

The badge clip before the pocket in the beret.

The pocket in the beret for which there is a second rectangular clip that goes with it, but I can not find mine at this time.

On checking some of my berets I have a 1951 dated beret with the two piece pocket in cloth that is only stitched to the linning.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 02:56 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Ref the comment about lugged or not lugged British made berets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Chris,

I don't think I have ever seen a British beret actaully designed for use with a lugged badge. They are all made assuming that a slidered badge will be attached; generally with a leather backing strip to receive the slider. As stated above the soldiery often improvise a stiff backing. (or in the case of the para regt just stick it in the wrong place anyway and wear it like a flat cap......)

Alan
Alan,
Ref the comment about lugged or not lugged berets. I am not sure whether this particular thread has now expired or not, but I have just spent 2 days in deepest Somerset and managed to get an ex-RM Commando officer to show me his mid-1970's issued Royal Marine berets.
They were both made in the UK and also have the leather piece inside the beret with 2 lug holes provided (there is no sign of a slider mounting) - for the main part of the RM badge - he cannot remember whether he had to make the additional upper 2 holes for the separate crown lugs. Whether this was specially done for the RM's he didn't know. On examining the leather patch, they 2 upper "holes" do appear to be "professionally" done rather than with a pointed instrument... If you want me to post pics, let me know. As an aside, when he was on NI tours, he bent the lugs on the separate crown up (i.e. the badge goes down), so that the crown was closer to the main badge and didn't identify him as an officer to snipers etc. This habit appeared to be fairly common practice.
rgds, david
Old 03-09-08, 03:23 PM

I was told by a couple of ex lot friends (ex forces in general) that they used ice cream tubs, and other assorted hardish plastics to make their badges stay properly in place, with one ex-para mentioning the same method but commenting his was almost a squashed oval, so the beret sat properly too.

Tom