British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-18, 03:55 PM

Default RN CPO slide

Good afternoon,

with which dress this slide is (or was) worn ? Thank you

Laurent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (50.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 26-06-18, 04:42 PM

Default RN CPO slide

Hello Laurent

When woollen pullovers and a new pattern of foul-weather gear was introduced in 1970 it was decided that shoulder badges should be issued to ratings. At first, only Chief Petty Officers were allowed to wear the badges on the shoulder straps of the woollen pullover. The shoulder badge adopted for use of Chief Petty Officers was of the same style as the one you have. Petty Officers and Leading Hands had to sew a red-embroidered arm badge to the woollen pullover. This was soon discovered to be impractical and so new shoulder badges were introduced in 1979.

The 1970 pattern Chief Petty Officers badge was then only to be used for wear on foul-weather clothing.

As can be seen on the attached label your badge dates from the period when the Chief Petty Officers badge could be worn on both the woollen pullover and foul-weather clothing (between 1970 and 1979).

I can't remember what dress No. was given to the woollen jersey for Chiefs in the 1970s so I'll have to look that up and get back to you.

There have been several changes in the design of shoulder badges for ratings since then and I'm not sure exactly how long this badge was used on foul-weather clothing. I'll see if I can find that out too - I know it was certainly in use in the 1980s.

I hope this helps a bit and I'll get back to you when I have checked the details.

Pete

Last edited by Guzzman; 26-06-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 26-06-18, 05:43 PM

Default RN CPO slide

Of course the main dress in which the woollen pully or foul-weather clothing was worn was No. 8 dress - Action or Working Dress.

Pete
Old 26-06-18, 07:59 PM

Thank you very much Pete for your very detailed reply

Laurent
Old 26-06-18, 08:00 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=154095

Here is that very same pattern
Old 27-06-18, 06:40 PM

Laurent & Pete

I picked my CPOs up in 1989 and that is when I started wearing this style but only on the old style plastic foul weather clothing. They were still being worn into the early 2000s and only went out of use when the new style goretex foul weather jacket came into service (the gold rayon thread type rank slides were then worn on the new style jacket).

Paddy
Old 28-06-18, 05:56 AM

Default RN CPO slide

Thanks Paddy!

I knew they were in use for quite a while but couldn't remember when they went out of use. I used to see them around but never wore them myself. It makes sense that they ceased to be used when the new Gortex jackets came in. As you say that was the time that the current Gold Lurex badges came into use. It was back in 2004 - can't believe it's 24 years ago already! Where has the time gone? Where has the Navy gone for that matter!

Thanks

Pete
Old 28-06-18, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Thanks Paddy!

I knew they were in use for quite a while but couldn't remember when they went out of use. I used to see them around but never wore them myself. It makes sense that they ceased to be used when the new Gortex jackets came in. As you say that was the time that the current Gold Lurex badges came into use. It was back in 2004 - can't believe it's 24 years ago already! Where has the time gone? Where has the Navy gone for that matter!

Thanks

Pete
2004 was 24 years ago Pete? I'd better get my will together and start selling my badge collection off - I'm aging so fast I'm not going to have time to enjoy it
Old 28-06-18, 02:03 PM

Default RN CPO slide

Sorry I meant 14 years ago but pressed the wrong button!

Slipping slowly into my dotage already!

Where's my Nurse? I want to go to the toilet!!

Pete