British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-09, 11:02 PM

Default badge repair made easy

I've tried this stuff on a couple of repairs now and think it's time to share with the brotherhood: JB Weld "JB Kwick" steel-filled epoxy. I picked up the lead from a tabletop gamers site regarding gluing cast metal figures where epoxy didn't seem to work too well.

The Canadian Chaplain's badge pictured had a lug snipped right at the base. It has a beautiful black enamel finish (this badge is pictured on the CanBadge Index), so trying to have a new lug brazed on was no-go. I had used regular epoxy three times on this and it would never hold, regardless of the fact that I had ground away the stump of the lug then finally taken the finish down to bare brass.

The Kwick version sets solid in 5 minutes and seems indestructible. A caution in that, unlike regular epoxies, it gets runnier after it has been mixed and before it sets, so you need a good three hands to make sure the lug doesn't tip over and stays aligned. I used a round toothpick to keep the lug aligned and upright while the epoxy set. Practice on some scrap badges to get a hang for using it.

Once set, the epoxy has a nice grey finish, a bit plastic looking but not quite as shiny as in the badge back scan and, like I say, it makes and incredibly strong, benign repair -- no more heat damage to metals or finishes. I don't think I needed as much as I used on the lug, but it was a first go and I was still getting a hang for the fluidity of the epoxy.

I've also used it to reattach a broken tang back on an OSD medical corps badge & am convinced I could easily bend the tang with no ill effects, although I won't put that to the test till I'm ready to mount that badge. I can see this being useful for a range of repairs, including reattaching overlays.

The stuff is made in the US; here's the company's product link. I found it at Canadian Tire in the automotive section (it wasn't racked with the other glues).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repair_back.jpg (32.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg repair_side.jpg (97.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 29-03-09, 09:02 AM

In the U.K I've seen it for sale in Automotive spares shops and advertised as plastic metal or something similar.
Old 29-03-09, 03:00 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks for that tip David, I can't see it taking away from the value as some people are quite consious of because a repaired lug is just that "a repaired lug". You did a nice neat job of that Chaplain lug. Ray
Old 31-03-09, 01:25 PM

Hello David: Thanks for the tip. In your estimation would it be possible to grind down the excess around the base of the lug with say a Dremel tool?
Moe.
Old 31-03-09, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe RCNR View Post
Hello David: Thanks for the tip. In your estimation would it be possible to grind down the excess around the base of the lug with say a Dremel tool?
Moe.
Do you mean the epoxy or the lug remnant? I ground the stump of the lug off with a Dremel tool, as there was < 1/16" left sticking up, but I don't have any problem with the look of the repair so I didn't try taking off any excess epoxy. Like I said in prev. post, the stuff was runnier than I expected after mixing & I had some fun with the lug tipping over, so this first go-round I ended up using more than I expected. If I had had a better set-up (jeweler's alligator clip stand or some such) to position & hold the lug in place, I think a lot less epoxy just on the foot of the lug would have worked. Don't see any reason why the epoxy couldn't be ground down, though.
Old 01-04-09, 11:15 PM

Helllo David: The excess epoxy at the base of the lug is what I meant. Will have to try your tip on a scrap badge as you suggested.
Moe.

Tags
fix, reattach, repair