British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-08, 05:54 PM
Banned

Default Quebec armouries fire

What have we lost in Quebec are the VCs in the vault there ? The fire has taken much military heritage unless it was stored during renovations.
Old 06-04-08, 12:47 AM

At this point Paul, I have no idea of what has been lost. I have heard nothing about the loss of artifacts. I do understand that the entire building is loss. A tragedy in its self.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 06-04-08, 02:31 AM
Banned

THE new is reporting tonight some details but I think the loss is going to be horiffic
Old 06-04-08, 01:49 PM

My family is still stationary in Haileybury, so I had some time to look about through news reports. The more I look the sicker I feel. Here is the text from one report. also a two photos of the aftermath.

I am sickened to realize that anything and everything housed in the Armoury is a loss.

An investigation has been launched following a fire in Quebec City that destroyed most of a historic military armoury.

The armoury, built in 1884, broke out in flames at about 9:30 p.m. on Friday evening.

The Dept. of National Defence's Maj. Marc Rancourt told CTV Newsnet on Saturday that a citizen reported the fire.

The fire spread quickly, destroying about 80 per cent of the structure.

Several witnesses reported hearing an explosion at the site after the armoury had already become engulfed in flames, said police spokesman Francois Bouchard.

However, military officials claim there were no explosives in the building.

Nobody was injured in the incident.

The armoury had provided a home to Les Voltigeurs, a Canadian Forces reserve unit and Canada's oldest French infantry unit.

In addition, it has housed a museum containing First and Second World War memorabilia, along with artifacts of the Riel Rebellion.

The building also contained Canada's largest suspended wood ceiling.

Some articles were reportedly rescued, and military officials hope some of the building can be saved.

The armoury had been scheduled to host many events to mark Quebec City's 400th anniversary and had been undergoing renovations.

"As of this time, we're still investigating the options to hold those activities in and around the armouries," said Rancourt.

Rancourt said he could "confirm" that the fire was not "an act of vandalism."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450_armoury_080405 (Medium).jpg (34.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 450_cp_armoury_080405 (Medium).jpg (43.1 KB, 10 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 06-04-08, 02:23 PM

From what I have heard on the radio and seen on the TV this morning they have saved a majority of the museum.....

Firefighters were able to get a large number of the artifacts out of the building in fact they were interviewing the curator and stated that he was standing beside a truck filled with items saved by the firefighters.....

Also he the curator stated that the firefighters had covered with fire retardant/proof protective blankets on items they could not move and the curator was thanking the firefighters for that......

Mike
Old 06-04-08, 05:49 PM
Banned

I hope this is the case,I believe there where many very important medal groups housed there among other relics. What a tragedy for CANADA

PAUL
Old 06-04-08, 11:33 PM

Default More on this sad day....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...nada%20target=