British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-06-20, 02:30 PM

Default Possible NSW Scottish Rifles belt buckle ?

No idea what this is , but it has been suggested as New South Wales Scottish Officers or London Scottish |
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (51.5 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by RAD; 25-06-20 at 02:36 PM.
Old 26-06-20, 10:48 AM

hi
never seen this buckle as NSW.
bc
Old 26-06-20, 07:38 PM

I doubt it is NSW Scottish officers, the only version of a NSW Scottish buckle I have ever seen is a white metal. I doubt they would have gone to brass for officers if the OR's had a white metal one.

I have attached a pic of the NSW Scottish buckle from my collection which was made by Stokes & Son, Melbourne. The lion is also significantly different.

Regards

Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NSW Scottish Buckle.jpg (83.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Ironside410; 26-06-20 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 26-06-20, 08:53 PM

Thanks Ironside and Badgecollector. OK that is great , at least NSW Scottish is eliminated ... so how about London Scottish then ? Or anyone got other suggestions . Its clearly Scottish with the Lion and the thistles
Old 26-06-20, 09:20 PM

hello,
sorry but it's not a London Scottish item.
Regards
Jean-Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (15.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 27-06-20, 01:15 AM

The buckle centre might be pre-federation Victorian Scottish Rifles officer pattern. There were plain OR buckles and similar ornate officer ones for the universal pattern buckles of the Victorian forces (see scan) and the Vic Scottish might well have done the same.
The quality looks too good to be just a pipe band buckle. There is a lot of overlap between the badges of Australian Scottish regiments and bands which often copied various thistle and lion Scottish insignia. I saw a chromed early pattern rampant lion sporran badge recently, worn by a local pipe band. These are apparently still stocked by Scottish suppliers.
Also attached a pre-fed NSW Scottish buckle. The badge itself is a poor quality casting but this was exactly what the regiment actually wore, lead filled badges not die struck. It is impossible to tell whether the buckle is a later copy made for the NSW Scottish Pipes and Drums, which continued until 2011.
Also attached another Vic Scottish (or band?) buckle. The style of lion looks more like the pattern worn 1903-12 and 1930-42.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VicVols officer.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg scotsbuckle.jpg (35.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg vicscotsbuckle.jpg (42.7 KB, 15 views)