British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-14, 07:40 PM

Default Anti Walting Petition

Yes, they're going to (hopefully) pass a law which makes it illegal to be a Walt. It seems they're already onto it in the States and some people here feel we should follow their example - I'm one of them. Walt are a curse on the good name of every man who ever served, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Here's the link to the petition - please sign.
Old 12-11-14, 07:57 PM

Hello

Surely this is already enshrined in UK law? Was there not a chap convicted several years ago of wearing medals he was not entitled to, claimed to be ex-SAS if I remember correctly.

Roger
Old 12-11-14, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello

Surely this is already enshrined in UK law? Was there not a chap convicted several years ago of wearing medals he was not entitled to, claimed to be ex-SAS if I remember correctly.

Roger
Yes there certainly was something but I'm not entirely sure exactly what's covered. Probably like the US it's the wearing of medals you're not entitled to but then there's the issue of misrepresentation.
Old 12-11-14, 08:46 PM

I thought it was already illegal to wear badge/uniform that you are not entitled to wear, impersonating a police officer etc
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 12-11-14, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
I thought it was already illegal to wear badge/uniform that you are not entitled to wear, impersonating a police officer etc
Lee
I actually haven't gone into it in any depth. To my way of thinking if there's a loophole which someone wants to cover to deter Walts then I'm all for it - so I signed and I've given others the opportunity to do so too. Nobody has to.
Old 12-11-14, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Hello
Roger
As I recall that court case was about benefit fraud. The only action against the offender for military impersonation was to be named and shamed in the press as a result of the fraud case.
Eddie
Old 12-11-14, 08:59 PM

Hello

Found this on the BBC website, an article relating to the SAS imposter "While it is not an offence to own medals which have not been awarded to you, it is illegal under section 197 of the Army Act 1955 to use these to pretend to be a member of the armed forces. (This act will be superseded by the Armed Forces Act 2006 in November.)

The act makes wearing any military decoration, badge, wound stripe or emblem without authority a criminal offence. It is also illegal to wear a replica "as to be calculated to deceive", and to falsely represent yourself as someone entitled to wear any such award.".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8454715.stm

Not sure much more needs to be done really.

Roger
Old 12-11-14, 09:43 PM
LYPAO Boff

I just dont know what drives a bloke to "Walt" to that extent..... its just weird.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-11-14, 10:00 PM

Roger Day was charged under Section 197 of the Army Act 1955, which made the wearing of uniform items and decorations without authority a criminal offence.

Unfortunately the said act became defunct on the 30th October 2009 and was replaced by the Armed Forces Act 2006 with that section repealed and not replaced. Surely the police would have known this minor technicality?

It turns out that the act used against him had been repealed only 11 days before November 11th, and his sentence was dropped.

However the Uniform Act of 1894 is still in force;

Quote:
Military uniforms not to be worn without authority..

(1)It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty’s Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty’s permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform: Provided that this enactment shall not prevent . . . . . . any persons from wearing any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play performed in a place duly licensed or authorised for the public performance of stage plays, or in the course of a music hall or circus performance, or in the course of any bona fide military representation..

(2)If any person contravenes this section he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [level 3 on the standard scale].
This does not include old uniforms or modem uniforms without insignia! i.e. Military Enactor's.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 12-11-14, 10:56 PM

With respect to this forum, there are one or two individuals who have made exaggerated/misleading statements about their own military service.
I love how Cadet Instructor Cadre officers often call themselves reservists (The CIC is a component of the Canadian Forces Reserves), however, their training and universality of service makes them very different from regulars and primary reservists.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 13-11-14, 07:26 AM

....and all those medals that Roger Day decided to group together and wear went for the princely sum of £386 when he moved them on....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262467/SAS-fake-Roger-Day-sells-17-bogus-medals-eBay-386.html

Make of that what you will
Old 13-11-14, 07:58 AM
Banned

Well worth the read because here you will get punished by the courts.

How military impostors fool the Anzac Day crowds, and themselves

and...

Australian and New Zealand Military Imposters
Old 13-11-14, 09:12 AM

I always feel they're more to be pitied than laughed at. I feel quite secure in the knowledge that my inch of glory was earned and quite frankly don't give a toss what other people do. Among the freedoms our forebears fought and died for was surely the freedom to be an idiot.
Old 13-11-14, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I always feel they're more to be pitied than laughed at. I feel quite secure in the knowledge that my inch of glory was earned and quite frankly don't give a toss what other people do. Among the freedoms our forebears fought and died for was surely the freedom to be an idiot.
Yep, I tend to agree with you. I have actually stopped wearing my medals on remembrance sunday. After 34 years service (Regular and Reserve - currently still serving as a cadet force officer) I was awarded the grand total of four medals. The secretary of the local Royal British Legion branch who served 2 years national service (all of it in Lincolnshire) turns up wearing no fewer than seven medals - all self awarded "bling" medals. Bit sad really, if you have been awarded OFFICIAL medals then fine wear them, if you havent and you have served then fine thats just the way it is, it doesnt make you any less of a person it just devalues offical awards. Just my view.

PL
Old 13-11-14, 01:03 PM

mutley.jpg