British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-14, 09:41 AM

For some reason the scan was omitted!
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alumIDtag.jpg (101.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-09-14, 12:22 PM

Here is the pair of tags that I have they are stamped on both sides I ran the no through the RMP Army No Search tool and the result was "No Match Found" that counts out the army but it could be RAF.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps13ba6d0d.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0b25eca2.jpg

Last edited by Loski; 07-09-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Further to pre/WW1 ID alum discs, I retrieved this among my local detecting finds and would welcome comments that may help to confirm if it is actually a service ID tag.

Aluminium, 35mm square with clipped corners; top central perforation. Legend: '10787' and 'C E'.

GTB
Not an issue item, but probably intended as an identity disc. Although it would be more common to include name and unit, number and religion could do at a pinch.

A lot of WW1 identity discs were made by the soldiers from scrap metal, coins etc.

They also purchased items from local shops and jewellers, in particular bracelets to be worn around the wrist. These were often in silver and were quite a smart thing for the fashionable soldier to have.

They were even noticed by the makers of comic postcards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Disc.jpg (64.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-09-14, 04:37 PM

I enlisted in 1958 and don't remember being issued any discs until I was posted to Cyprus in 1960 when I was issued two round discs on green nylon cord that had been kept in my documents at HQ, on returning to UK the discs were withdrawn and not issued again until we went to NI in about 1970 and they were again withdrawn on returning to Bulford.
Old 04-09-14, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I enlisted in 1958 and don't remember being issued any discs until I was posted to Cyprus in 1960 when I was issued two round discs on green nylon cord that had been kept in my documents at HQ, on returning to UK the discs were withdrawn and not issued again until we went to NI in about 1970 and they were again withdrawn on returning to Bulford.
Yep that was the same as us they were 2 round steel discs on green nylon cord and only issued when we were due to be deployed on active service, when I asked why this was the case the RSM replied cos you little bustards loose em, sorry if I gave the impression that they were issued on enlistment, on a sideline I remember going into one of the offices at Wittington and seeing a corporal with mountains of personnel folders and a large reel of ball chain a large bag of joiners and a pair of pliers he was removing the green cord from the 2 pairs of ID discs in each file and replacing it with one long and one short ball chain ala US. I also remember one of the civvies who worked in one of the stores would make up a pair of tags for a couple of quid quite a few of us took him up still got them somewhere

Last edited by Loski; 04-09-14 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 06:42 PM

I was issued a Med Tag in Germany about 3 years after joining the RAF, no cord or chain. They either knew I had suddenly got a medical allergy or its issue was rather slow. Cheers, Paul.
Old 05-09-14, 07:21 PM

A selection of ID disks for those interested, Top left made by ASPREY's H/M 1914 with his service record on both sides and bottom centre made from a shell case.
Andy

Last edited by magpie; 24-05-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 08:21 PM

Bottom right issue early one. Nice collection. Regards, Paul.
Old 05-09-14, 08:24 PM

I often wonder if the W/O would bothered to have done metal discs as standard for the British Army of the Great War. Would there be as many un-known headstones in the cemeteries of France. I mean the Germans had I think the break off disc's that they had also in WW2.

Simon.
Old 05-09-14, 08:53 PM

I think that a part of the problem was that they took the metal disk from the dead in a lot of cases and relied on a white laminated panel in the seat of the trousers that rotted away to identify them at a later date and ofcourse some bodies would have had parts missing, a friend was told his grandfather just dissapeared in a cloud of dust with only a boot left behind while walking across the battle field.
Old 05-09-14, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I heard that too. But you would have thought someone would have said...."hey this German snap disc is a great idea. Leave half behind to ID the body". I think maybe sometimes it was more a callous approach to the casualties.

Simon.
Old 05-09-14, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Yeah, I heard that too. But you would have thought someone would have said...."hey this German snap disc is a great idea. Leave half behind to ID the body". I think maybe sometimes it was more a callous approach to the casualties.

Simon.
They did, and so did the soldiers who purchase/made an extra disc to add to the official issue.

It took until the huge casualties of the Somme before soldiers were issued with two discs, the green disc being added in November 1916.
Old 05-09-14, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Bottom right issue early one. Nice collection. Regards, Paul.
Used a lot by the Australians, and often found with the next of kin details on the back.
Old 07-09-14, 01:47 PM

I have been trying to post the potos but for some reason they wont but here are links to them.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps13ba6d0d.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps0b25eca2.jpg