British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-07-10, 09:55 PM

Default Formation badges worn on different uniforms

I have recently acquired several of the current Mechanised Brigade and Brigade Group formation badges, and have been told that the fully woven versions are worn on the DEU uniform, and the embroidered on felt ones are for the Garrison uniform. I assume the Garrison uniform is perhaps working dress, but what does the DEU uniform stand for? I would be grateful for help off any of our Canadian members of the forum.
Old 03-07-10, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Badger44, DEU stands for Distinctive Environment Uniform, eg army, navy, airforce. Garrison dress was a shortlived working uniform, worn in the 1990's, now obsolete. The fully woven versions were worn on the Garrison dress, and the embroidered ones were worn on the DEU.
Old 04-07-10, 09:38 AM

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your reply, and for the clarification on the uniforms. However, I'm still confused, although I'm probably being thick.
If the Garrison Uniform is obsolete, and the woven ones were worn on this, does that mean that all the ones being worn today are the embroidered on felt ones? The main reason I ask, is that I only have three examples of the embroidered ones, all of which are regular units, whilst I have six of the reserve Brigade Groups which are all fully woven. Does that mean that all the fully woven ones are now obsolete, and that the reserve Brigade Groups all also have embroidered on felt versions?
Additionally, I know of the reserve Brigade Groups numbers 32 to 39 and 41. Was there no 40 Brigade Group badge?
Old 04-07-10, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, my misunderstanding of your initial post. I thought you were discussing only the regular force patches as issued in the early 1990's. The reserve army brigade patches are fully embroidered patterns, and they are only worn on the DEU's.
Old 04-07-10, 08:06 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the further information. Sorry about the confusion with my original post.
Old 22-07-10, 02:57 AM

Default Difference Between DEU and Garrison Dress Formation Badges

From my collection, DEU on the left, the now discontinued Garrison Dress on the right.

Old 22-07-10, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Badger, Sorry I missed your question about 40 Bde Group. There is no 40 in the sequence, hence no patch.
An addendum. There are now brigade shaped patches being issued for Area Support Groups, (ASG), and the one I have acquired is melton and embroidered. The others I have seen are a combination of manufacturing methods.

Tags
formation badges, uniforms