British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-16, 01:49 PM

Default Imperial War Graves Commission

I have a small question. I recently bought a pair yellow on green IWGC shoulder titles. I have a small question about the IWGC. What kind of cap badge did they wear. Under which brand of service did they serve?

Maybe somebody can help me.
Thank you in advance.
Old 18-01-16, 02:52 PM

As one of the civilian bodies recognised by the War Office the IWGC were able to operate alongside the armed services as long as they were in uniform, your titles obviously being intended for wear on battle dress.

In 1944 the War Office introduced a Badge, Cap, Civilian Special Service for all such personnel who did not already (like the Salvation Army, YMCA etc) have their own cap badge.

Whilst I have not seen evidence of its use I would suggest that the IWGC wore the badge, a picture of which is shown. The badge is often wrongly described as being the badge of War Correspondents

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Civilian Special Service Cap Badge JM.jpg (63.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 18-01-16, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
As one of the civilian bodies recognised by the War Office the IWGC were able to operate alongside the armed services as long as they were in uniform, your titles obviously being intended for wear on battle dress.

In 1944 the War Office introduced a Badge, Cap, Civilian Special Service for all such personnel who did not already (like the Salvation Army, YMCA etc) have their own cap badge.

Whilst I have not seen evidence of its use I would suggest that the IWGC wore the badge, a picture of which is shown. The badge is often wrongly described as being the badge of War Correspondents

Jon
Thank you. Learned something new. Is this badge worn on the beret of on the service field cap?
Old 18-01-16, 04:41 PM

Most of those entitled to wear it wore a beret but examples worn on a service dress cap and the ATS peaked cap have been recorded. The fore and aft field service cap was no longer a general issue by the time the badge was introduced.

The photo shows it worn by a civilian member of the Military Government on what looks like a General Service cap. The wings at the centre are probably just a sweetheart item which such civilians could get away with.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Civilian Special Service cap badge with RAF badge JM.jpg (36.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 18-01-16, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Most of those entitled to wear it wore a beret but examples worn on a service dress cap and the ATS peaked cap have been recorded. The fore and aft field service cap was no longer a general issue by the time the badge was introduced.

The photo shows it worn by a civilian member of the Military Government on what looks like a General Service cap. The wings at the centre are probably just a sweetheart item which such civilians could get away with.

Jon
Jon,

I remember owning that photo!
You must have got it off me.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 18-01-16, 06:25 PM

Bought via ebay.

Jon
Old 18-01-16, 06:26 PM