British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-05-08, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up 20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Trooper - 1940

20th Light Horse (Victorian Mounted Rifles) Trooper - 1940

Nice photo showing the 20th Light Horse (VMR) collars being worn.

Mick
Old 12-07-08, 10:31 AM

Lovely shot, Mick -- wasn't this the same unit and same year in the filming of Forty Thousand Horsemen?
Old 12-07-08, 11:51 AM

No idea mate - I've never seen that movie.

Mick
Old 14-07-08, 05:15 AM

It's a 'must see' for any Light Horse collector! Made around 1940 by Aussie filmmaker Charles Chauvel, centred around the Beersheba charge. He apparently used the 20th Light Horse and the beaches around Avalon to stage the action.
Old 14-07-08, 05:16 AM

BTW, I wonder what colour his collar patches (not colour patches!) are, and what happened to his hat badge?
Old 02-12-08, 04:49 AM

The collar patches are maroon. The jacket is the 1938 pattern introduced when it was felt the 1931 pattern was too expensive and difficult to manufacture. There was an expectation that a large army would be needed soon so a simpler uniform was adopted. Not completely rolled out before war started.
Old 02-12-08, 05:28 AM

Fascinating -- I'd honestly never heard of the 1938 pattern tunic! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever come across an actual 'pattern date' for the previous model. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was introduced around 1935, but my memory could be playing tricks there. I have an example of this one (with the stand-up collar) to the AASC, and I agree, it's a rather complicated piece of tailoring.
Old 05-12-08, 01:20 PM

Default 1938 tunic

The 1938 had the fall collar and red piped shoulderstraps and cuffs for everyone. Arm of service coloured patches were worn on the collar. The 1931 pattern, intorduced generally by 1935 has a stand collar of facing colour, and similar coloured piping on the shoulder straps, cuffs and trousers/breeches.
I have yet to find a regulation for the new uniform but have a 8Bde minute from 1938 detailing the changes. This document is supported by 1940 Prices of Clothing schedule and numerous contemporary photographs.
Old 13-03-13, 04:04 PM

Hi

Did the breeches have piping?

I have some breeches in that thin, green cord fabric that matches the odd green colour of the 1931 pattern tunics. They are not piped.

All the best

Dennis