British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-12, 06:28 AM

Default Militia AFA Service Chevrons

Hi

I came across a photograph of a man serving in the Militia Australian Field Artillery wearing a post 1912 uniform. On the sleeve were service chevrons and a badge which I cannot make out. Here is the pic:

I have two questions.

1. Can anyone make out what the badge at the top of the chevrons signifies? Perhaps you have come across one such badge in your travels.

2. The service chevrons - I am wondering if anyone has a deeper knowledge of these - vis, when were they actually awarded and the criterion for the award.

A bit heavy, perhaps but I can see the skill sets possessed by members amply justifies my query.

Thanks

Bill

The Australian Light Horse Studies Centre chronicles the history of the early Australian mounted forces from 1899 to 1920.
Old 08-03-12, 06:48 AM

To add to my post. I obtained these two samples from Cossum's excellent work on the subject.

Australian Field Artillery Quartermaster Sergeant

Artillery Sergeant's Badge

The badge in my original pic looks worsted and I suspected it was this particular badge.

And so this presents my dilemma which seems to appear above.

If he was a Quartermaster Sergeant, then his badge does not match that illustrated in Cossum. So if he is an Artillery Sergeant, then why does he possess four chevrons? Unless they are service chevrons. Hence my question.

Cheers

Bill

The Australian Light Horse Studies Centre chronicles the history of the early Australian mounted forces from 1899 to 1920.