British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-19, 07:11 PM

Default Request for Assistance with Uniform Identification

Hello All,

I'm looking for assistance in identifying the uniform in the attached images. I did a quick search, but to no avail. If it's not Canadian, I will offer it for sale. Cheers,

Walt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uniforum1.jpg (55.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg uniforum2.jpg (29.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg uniforum3.jpg (37.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 25-05-19, 11:56 PM

It is the standard British Hussar OR tunic as worn pre 1914 by all of the regiments other than the 3rd (scarlet) and the 13th (white). The breeches are likewise standard except for the 11th Hussars which wore their famous cherry red.
The collar badges are incorrect and appear to be either Royal Artillery or R. Engineers that someone put on it.
I do not know if any of the Canadian Hussar regiments wore the same uniform as the British.
CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 26-05-19 at 12:04 AM.
Old 26-05-19, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the courtesy of you reply CB!

Walt
Old 26-05-19, 01:32 AM

Cheers, I forgot to clarify that it was only the collar that the color changed on the 3rd and 13th, not the entire tunic!

CB
Old 26-05-19, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It is the standard British Hussar OR tunic as worn pre 1914 by all of the regiments other than the 3rd (scarlet) and the 13th ...
I do not know if any of the Canadian Hussar regiments wore the same uniform as the British.
CB
The 1st Hussars of London, Ontario has a mounted unit, portraying the regiment in 1914-18. A friend of mine, Sgt Steve Hartwick, has a pre-War uniform of that regiment, which he had made for him. As you can see, its very like the British unifrom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hartwick.jpg (65.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 26-05-19, 10:12 PM

Wow! Thank you Peter. The uniform in the photo you provided looks exactly like mine (less the artillery collars which are not correct). I would never have guessed that this uniform could possibly have a Canadian connection. There are some faded ink stamps on the linings of tunic & pants which I will try to identify.

I'm curious as to whether the 1st Hussars would have imported their uniforms from Great Britain, or had them tailored here in Canada. Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks again,

Walt
Old 26-05-19, 11:04 PM

In pre ww1 days, most uniforms would have been made in Britain. If you can take a photo of the inside of the tunic showing the lining and sleeves, that will clinch the identification. Also, if you notice the remains of a paper label inside on the lower skirt, that too will made ID definite.

CB
Old 27-05-19, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt P View Post
Wow! Thank you Peter. The uniform in the photo you provided looks exactly like mine (less the artillery collars which are not correct). I would never have guessed that this uniform could possibly have a Canadian connection. There are some faded ink stamps on the linings of tunic & pants which I will try to identify.

I'm curious as to whether the 1st Hussars would have imported their uniforms from Great Britain, or had them tailored here in Canada. Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks again,

Walt
Not exactly the same as the modern one has cream a coloured collar whereas yours has a blue collar.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-05-19, 11:57 PM

Default Further Info

Thank you Simon, and all to have contributed to this thread.....not the same as the Canadian uniform. However I do have further info to provide. The buttons are maker marked "SMITH&WRIGHT LTD. B'HAM". I was not able to photo the reverse of the buttons, but have added a few more clues from markings on the liner of the tunic. Please refer to the attached photos for additional information. I have had this in my possession for 40 years & don't know if this may be relevant to the authenticity. I look further to your input! Cheers,

Walt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190527_190510.jpg (61.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190527_190543.jpg (47.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190527_190602.jpg (61.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 28-05-19, 12:43 AM

It is definitely a pre ww1 British Hussar uniform. Again, I don't know if any Canadian Hussar regiments wore identical uniforms as to the Imperial at that time.

CB
Old 28-05-19, 01:53 AM

Thank you again CB for educating both me, and fellow members of the forum. Although not attributed to a Canadian regiment, to learn that this uniform is authentic is overwhelming! I would appreciate if you are able to provide details of what differentiates my uniform from a reproduction. Cheers,

Walt
Old 28-05-19, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt P View Post
Thank you again CB for educating both me, and fellow members of the forum. Although not attributed to a Canadian regiment, to learn that this uniform is authentic is overwhelming! I would appreciate if you are able to provide details of what differentiates my uniform from a reproduction. Cheers,

Walt
Just about everything distinguishes your uniform from any sort of repro. Pre war ORs Hussar tunics like yours are actually fairly common and no one could make repro today that comes close to the originals with regard to material and construction. That photo of the re-enactor may good from a distance, but the frogging and other details are not like the originals, which are not made anymore and impossible to obtain.

CB
Old 28-05-19, 11:34 PM

Thanks again CB.

Walt
Old 29-05-19, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Not exactly the same as the modern one has cream a coloured collar whereas yours has a blue collar.
I only meant to suggest, in my post, that it might be Canadian, as our uniforms 'aped' those of Mother England, and in many, perhaps most cases, would have been made there, by British tailors familiar with the styles and with access to the braid and so on - all of which, BTW, still seems to come from Wydean Weaving, whether it is for thew British, Canadian, Indian or Australian armies 'old school' ceremonial garb.

I haven't studied collar and cuff colours in Canada, so can have no opionion on that. Very glad that it turns out to be authentic!