British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-09, 07:33 AM

Default Walter Lambert Collection

I see that the Walter Lambert collection is being sold by Wallis and Wallis,the first part being offered later this month and is currently on line.

Whilst the collection covers a wide area,there are a large number of yeomanry badges ( and scottish ones ) amongst the first part and for anyone looking for items they have been searching for for some time,it might be worth having a look.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-08-09, 09:05 AM

Default Walter Lambert

I did see in the MHS journal that this collection was being sold. This is the first time I have heard of this man, any details of his collecting history?
Old 15-08-09, 09:47 AM

Sonofa,
I corresponded with Walter many years ago, I cannot recall him having articles in the MHS Bulletin but may be wrong.He had a wide interest in militaria.

He certainly wrote articles in Crown Imperial and had a series of articles on anodised insignia ( of all sorts ) in the magazine of that society.

Walter is mentioned in Linaker/Dine ( Cavalry Arm Badges ) as assisting the authors together with Ron Harris.He is also mentioned in the acknowldgements to Cox ( Military Badges )

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-08-09, 10:31 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I did see in the MHS journal that this collection was being sold. This is the first time I have heard of this man, any details of his collecting history?
He apparently had a very large collection of cavalry badges, but was also
'into' the infantry as well. I assume that there will be all sorts - I cannot
access W&W from here so have no idea whats on offer. His name used
to come up on a regular basis during the 70/80's.
Old 15-08-09, 11:14 AM

Wright.
I dont know why you cannot access W and W ( I am pretty well computer illiterate- pocket calculators were the new thing when I was at school ), I go through the links page on Speedbid and then through the links to Auctioneers.

P.B.

Old 15-08-09, 11:57 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Wright.
I dont know why you cannot access W and W ( I am pretty well computer illiterate- pocket calculators were the new thing when I was at school ), I go through the links page on Speedbid and then through the links to Auctioneers.

P.B.
Its the fact that its an auction site - this is a German thing..... I can't
access the Bosley site either... thats:- ebay (which is understandable..),
car/motor cycle sites, ANY auction site - of any description.... what
can I say - das ist verboten..
Old 01-09-09, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Did anyone here buy anything at that Wallis and Wallis sale?

just browsing through the realised prices and it struck me that badges in the collection that are illustrated look to have been recently cleaned?

Are there any buyers "with us" that can provide a scan of the backs?

(not suggesting anything here -just wondered if the backs were as clean as the fronts - it can, I assume, make it just a little more difficult to dispose of it in the future if they have been dip cleaned.)

examples:

edit: links dead.
Old 01-09-09, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Did anyone here buy anything at that Wallis and Wallis sale?

just browsing through the realised prices and it struck me that badges in the collection that are illustrated look to have been recently cleaned?

Are there any buyers "with us" that can provide a scan of the backs?

(not suggesting anything here -just wondered if the backs were as clean as the fronts - it can, I assume, make it just a little more difficult to dispose of it in the future if they have been dip cleaned.)

ID=22084[/URL]
I think Endici cleaned up on the yeomanry going by his latest listings.
Old 01-09-09, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viletone View Post
I think Endici cleaned up on the yeomanry going by his latest listings.

Genius. yes some of his are being sold as Wallis and Wallis - so photos of the back are possibly online now anyway (if from the auction in question)

clean back and front.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4th-Perthshire...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-O-Scottish-B...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 01-10-09, 11:56 AM

I am sure everyone else saw this before I did but the second part of the Walter Lambert collection is now on the Wallis and Wallis web site.

P.B.

Old 01-10-09, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
I am sure everyone else saw this before I did but the second part of the Walter Lambert collection is now on the Wallis and Wallis web site.

P.B.
I went to the Wallis and Wallis website and also see the collection. But very few of the lots have any pictures and have only very brief descriptions. Is that typical of this site? Are there more pictures that I'm missing?
Old 01-10-09, 05:11 PM

Hello David,

No ,there are very few on line catalogues with illustrations of all the lots,most just have pictures of a few ( often the higher value lots )

I suppose the auctioneers would like prospective purchasers to pay for the hard copy catalogues.

P.B.

Old 01-10-09, 07:07 PM

Default Walter's collection

I was fortunate and lucky enough to have bought his 3,7,8 Hussar collection before he decided to send them off to Wallis & Wallis , It filled all the holes in my collection but a few. I have many swaps 3,4,7,8Hussars. All original drop me a line

3748 Hussar
Old 01-10-09, 10:24 PM

Thanks, 3748 Hussar, but I was hoping to get a look at some of the uniform buttons listed in the auctions - not likely that I could afford some of the large lots listed though...

David
Old 02-10-09, 02:34 PM

Default wallisandwallis

The web site is playing up, its taking ages t bring up pages and pictures.

Retlaw.

Nephew of Walter Holmes.
Last of the original Accrington
Pals to be killed in action
29-09-1918 1730 hrs.