British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-08, 02:47 PM

We found on the BMF a listing post was good, i.e. all medals linked into an appendix i.e:

Victoria Cross Link

Military Medal Link

etc. then you just click on them to take you to the psecific thread, that way you can just index all the exisiting threads and save time.

Tom
Old 07-08-08, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I like the model of using the index page with links to the images. How will we include the cloth badges?
Mike, did you want someone like Larry to "manipulate" the images then submit them to you for posting?
Lets fiddle around with the king's crown badges and see how it develops. Perhaps, the British members wish to start another "experimental" section for some period of Brit badges?

VA stands for Veterans' Associations. (Mazeas catalogue system.)

Last edited by Bill A; 07-08-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-08-08, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
VA stands for Veterans' Associations. (Mazeas catalogue system.)
but these look like a mixed bag not just vets?

VA.1 VETERAN'S BRIGADE VA.2 ALBERTA WOMEN'S SECURITY CORPS VA.3 ONTARIO FARMERS SERVICE FORCE VA.4 WOMEN'S AUXILIARY CORPS B.C. AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION VA.5 WOMEN'S AUXILIARY CORPS MANITOBA ASSOCIATION VA.6 CANADIAN WOMEN'S TRANSPORT SERVICE VA.7 CANADIAN RED CROSS SOCIETY VA.8 CANADIAN RED CROSS CORPS VA.9 WOMEN'S VOLUNTEER SERVICE CORPS (RED CROSS) VA.10 ST JOHN AMBULANCE VA.11 CANADIAN FIRE-FIGHTERS VA.12 KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS VA.13 KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS VA.14 YOUNG MEN CHRISTMAS ASSOCIATION VA.15 LEGION OF FRONTIERSMEN (IMPERIAL) VA.16 LEGION OF FRONTIERSMEN (B.C.) VA.17 LEGION OF FRONTIERSMEN VA.18 THE SALVATION ARMY CANADIAN WAR SERVICE VA.19 THE SALVATION ARMY CANADIAN WAR SERVICE VA.20 THE CANADIAN CORPS OF COMMISSIONAIRESVA.21 THE CANADIAN CORPS OF COMMISSIONAIRES VA.21A THE CANADIAN CORPS OF COMMISSIONAIRES

Quote:
How will we include the cloth badges?

should be able to include everything on one regiment page? how many images per page will it end up with do you think, if we tried to do collars, caps, S/Ts, cloth etc
Old 07-08-08, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

My error on the VA. Mazeas simply calls them Varia (Various).
For organization:
One page per unit, the badges and titles arranged chronologically? Or, one page per unit per period of time? For example for the 48th Highlanders of Canada, there would be a Pre-1914 entry, CEF, 1920-52, 1952-Unification, and Post Unification section. Or some similar breakdown. These time periods mark specific changes in naming or design. Or, simply one page per unit, that page arranged chronologically from earliest to last badge?

Last edited by Bill A; 07-08-08 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re cloth. Much of the cloth will fit in under regimental headings, but there is cloth that doesn't fit regimental or corps categories. The divisional, corps, army patches are one set of badges. They could be entered under their own headings, but that can be decided as the project evolves.
Old 07-08-08, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Re cloth. Much of the cloth will fit in under regimental headings, but there is cloth that doesn't fit regimental or corps categories. The divisional, corps, army patches are one set of badges.
yes definitely under their own separate index for the higher level insignia.

Regarding the structure of an individual regiment page, probably best for me to just have a go at one. it depends on the number of pictures you have, but it doesn't matter if it's one page or four per regiment. If there are too many pics for one page to download quickly then they can be split into multiple pages. Anyway do Larry or yourself have a nice batch of representative material which covers one of the regiments listed? if you can email it, I will assemble a "Mark 1" page or group of pages, and if it doesn't work we can change it.

Last edited by Mike; 07-08-08 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spell
Old 07-08-08, 06:41 PM

Default Wow!!!

Talk about FAST!!! I just sent you the possible index (Babin's) last night. !!!!
I'll see if I have a "set" for a specific unit (Badge, Collar, Shoulder, Cloth) scan it tonight and send it off.

Larry
Old 07-08-08, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
LLWill
I'll see if I have a "set" for a specific unit (Badge, Collar, Shoulder, Cloth) scan it tonight and send it off.
excellent Larry, looking forward to it.
Old 07-08-08, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Larry, Are you going to pick a unit for which you have all era's insignia? If you need more let me know which unit you have selected and I will see if I can fill in anything.
Old 07-08-08, 09:38 PM

I forgot about our British collectors when I jumped at this one.

As most of you know, I collect Second World War Canadian caps badges, collars and metal titles. My main Regiment of interest is the Irish Regiment of Canada, including the 180th Sportsman Bn and the 208th Irish Overseas Bn.

I am currntly away from my home PC but let me know what you guys need and I do my best to help out.

This project is huge but IMO is well worth the time.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 08-08-08, 01:11 AM

Default Bill?? All Era's

I thought that this was centered around KC era (1920 [Post CEF] to 1953).
I'll check my collection - I know that I have Officers, OSD and OR's LC Signals with several of the varieties plus cloth. I really do not have that much cloth and what I do have I am not all that sure of.

Larry
Old 08-08-08, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Larry, My question was about the larger organization of the "registry". I think proceeding with the king's crown 1920-1952 era badges would be the best to start.
Old 08-08-08, 10:50 AM
Administrator

fallen at the first hurdle.

Larry has sent a nice batch of signals badges, but the index titles (from Babin ?) don't seen to agree with the badges.

I have

S.4 CANADIAN CORPS OF SIGNALS

and

S.4A ROYAL CANADIAN SIGNALS CORPS

are these correct? if they are should there be a S.x CANADIAN SIGNALLING CORPS as well?

anyway a few of the pics put under the first heading.
Old 08-08-08, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, The catalogue numbers are from Mazeas 1920-1950. They are correct, listing the badges of the Corps pre-Royal and the 1922 RCCS. Babin's catalogue is for the CEF badges, and the signals badges are listed as 33-1 and 33-2. These badges are not part of the 1920-1953 period.
Old 08-08-08, 11:32 AM
Administrator

ok thats good, will drop out 1-5. I have the "Royal" types as well but there is a problem with the images, Larry will have to send them again.

and thanks for clarify the number system, I think Larry said "Babin" at some point