British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-06-08, 04:48 PM

Graham, there are no opinions about official regulations. If the regulations are not adhered to by certain units / manufacturers - that is another matter, and they often get told off about it !
(You can't break the rules unless you know what the rules are !)
I have an OSD cap badge with loops but I'm pretty sure it is a 1st WW manufacture. During wartime there were all sorts of irregularities. Reading through a lot of the official WO material shows that in the years immediately after 1918 and 1945 there are stringent efforts to tighten up the regulations.
Old 21-06-08, 10:45 PM

Default Warwickshire Yeo. OSD with slider

Well folks, here is a nice little one with a form of slider. It differs of course from the standard cap badge sliders, actually a sort of blade that is not pointed. It is, however, a purpose designed fixture and is not a modified blade at all. I can only surmise that due to the diminutive size of this badge that normal blades would not have been a satisfactory solution.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 292.jpg (54.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 293.jpg (39.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 23-06-08, 02:17 AM

Any comments regarding the Warwick Yeo.?
Old 23-06-08, 06:41 AM

CB,
All we have to do now is prove the badge is genuine and we have another exception to the rules.
I say this because IMO it looks to me like the badge has been painted bronze, rather than the 'process' of bronzing.
I am not 100% sure of the process, but it has been mentioned on the forum before and involves 'coatings of powder'.
Perhaps an OSD collector could explain this better.
But as things stand, I will err on the side of caution.
STM.

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 23-06-08 at 07:07 AM.
Old 23-06-08, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle tree maker View Post
CB,
All we have to do now is prove the badge is genuine and we have another exception to the rules.
I say this because IMO it looks to me like the badge has been painted bronze, rather than the 'process' of bronzing.
I am not 100% sure of the process, but it has been mentioned on the forum before and involves 'coatings of powder'.
Perhaps an OSD collector could explain this better.
But as things stand, I will err on the side of caution.
STM.
Yes, it does have the "painted" appearance, but it is quite genuine and is of the correct type of finish. I specialize in collecting OSD badges and am quite comfortable with it. As you know, the finishes on OSD badges varies considerably and I have several others with the same type of finish as this badge.

CB
Old 02-08-08, 03:04 PM

Were they introduced by G A O No. 10 (of 1902?) Can anyone confirm this and quote the order?

Tom M