British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-22, 12:41 PM

Default Metal detectors display, Chester Cathedral 13/8/22

A one day exhibition with a vast array of items but a always a fair few military badges in various conditions but you never k is what you will see.
P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-22, 02:38 PM

Default Metal detectors display, Chester Cathedral 13/8/22

Peter, what a wonderful exhibition, the Huntingdon frame presumably contains things from that area of what is now part of Cambridgeshire.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob
Old 13-08-22, 03:53 PM

Peter, I am sure it was worth going to see.

Where I live is the site of one of our Civil War battles, Stones River, and I have a few items that were metal detected. Of course you are not allowed ot do that on the National Park grounds, but the battlefield was so big there's always something to be found.

Many thanks for sharing this and the pictures.

Terry
Old 13-08-22, 05:09 PM

Thanks Rob,

I think it’s Huntingdon on the outskirts of Chester..

Terry,
When we stayed in Alexandria just outside Washington DC we were surprised to see memorials to both sides, unfortunately we didn’t have time to visit any of the battlefields.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-22, 07:42 PM

Peter, It's a really nice park now, of course quite small compared to Gettysburg or Shiloh, but we are proud of it.

Here's a site that you might enjoy, and I recommend the video. It was made with the help of several reenactor groups, and we have a dear friend who is in it. About 5 minutes in, you will see a guy in an over coat and a dark red scarf - the first Confederate soldier he stops at is our friend Justin.

https://www.nps.gov/stri/index.htm

Just FYI, Justin is a remarkable young man. He was top graduate in high school, accepted in all 4 of our military academies and graduated from West Point. His first assignment after graduation was with the 82 Airborne who were just being sent to Afghanistan. He was wounded in a rocket attack, but in spite of it he helped two injured enlisted men, one whose life he saved until the medics got there.

Terry
Old 14-08-22, 06:19 AM

Thanks Terry,

Had a long time interest in the American Civil War, like most things the issues were more complicated than you first think.

I also find the raising of local Regiments and their uniforms have some similarities with the raising of the Rifle Volunteers in England, Scotland and Wales at roughly the same time.

Peter

Old 14-08-22, 10:43 AM

Coincidently, I'm on book 6 of the 28 book Time-Life series on the American Civil War. Absolutely fascinating series. I bought the books from a chap I met in the local gents barbers. His name was Derek Ware, actor & stuntman. He actually arranged the Mini car chase in The Italian Job, and played one of the drivers; Rozzer. He passed away in 2015. I was going to save reading the series until I officially retired, but have started a few years early!
Regards,
Leo