British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-22, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have one of those but have never managed to prove whether it was 1st VB, TF or possibly militia.
Old 21-05-22, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I have one of those but have never managed to prove whether it was 1st VB, TF or possibly militia.
Hi Alan, I think you will find it’s militia, towards the the very end, before tf
Old 21-05-22, 06:42 PM

Can we discount walking-out badge?

JT
Old 21-05-22, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Yes, beautifully detailed and in great nick too for a Vic/Edw era badge. Thanks for sharing. Does it have three vent holes behind the scroll?

On a more light-hearted note; execution of detail notwithstanding, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single example of this pattern badge where the artisan responsible for fashioning Britannia has displayed any decent level of comprehension as to the proportions of human anatomy.

Your example, Keith, definitely has a touch of the Boris Johnsons about it:

Attachment 268088

She’s been carrying heavy shopping too by the look of that elongated forearm… definitely something a pregnant woman she should not be doing.

Attachment 268089

And RSM’s potential Gaunt looks as though she’s about to rob a bank.

Attachment 268090

And my beloved Britannia might have contracted the Zika virus [weep].

Attachment 268091

Then there’s Otis Lifts’ right arm…

Attachment 268092
Ha, brilliant.....
Andy
Old 21-05-22, 07:22 PM

What about this one all white metal??I’ve had it years and forgotten about it until this thread came up, it’s a solid badge and looks good but, slider fitted no evidence of lugs and for some reason some bright spark drilled 3 neat holes in it apologies for the badge orientation can’t seem to alter them !!

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 22-05-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 21-05-22, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
What about this one all white metal??I’ve had it years and forgotten about it until this thread came up, it’s a solid badge and looks good but, slider fitted no evidence of lugs and god some reason some bright spark drilled 3 neat holes in it apologies for the badge orientation can’t seem to alter them !!

Gerard
I believe it was manufactured to be a BM badge, however, it is clearly missing it’s overlay for whatever reason.
Old 21-05-22, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
What about this one all white metal??I’ve had it years and forgotten about it until this thread came up, it’s a solid badge and looks good but, slider fitted no evidence of lugs and god some reason some bright spark drilled 3 neat holes in it apologies for the badge orientation can’t seem to alter them !!

Gerard
I've taken your lady for a spin, Gerard. Hope that's okay?

GB64 a.jpgGB64 b.jpgGB64 c.jpgGB64 d.jpg
Old 21-05-22, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I believe it was manufactured to be a BM badge, however, it is clearly missing it’s overlay for whatever reason.
Agreed, especially as this variant (asking to be shot down here ) is always seen with circular vent holes.

JT Norf Regt a.jpgJT Nork Regt b.jpg

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 21-05-22 at 09:39 PM.
Old 22-05-22, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
JT. I can't say for sure, but that die was being used when the badges had loops pre-WW1, same with the VB badges I have, and so on through to slidered versions, and of course the 1916 all-GM. All from the same die, or certainly all from the same die-maker. A distinctive Britannia, two-berry badge, and as said, the most common original version to be found. So it's a guess it will be an established insignia manufacturer with a long history such as Gaunt? Can you moot any other makers that would fit the bill i.e were producing this badge 1897 - 1916 and perhaps beyond to 1935? (I reckon a lot of the other variations we find are WW1 issues from the many different makers that sprang into life in 1914/15?) As always just thinking aloud and always interested to be corrected and learn more.
RSM,

Found an interesting document (courtesy of the National Archives) which appears to reveal that J. R. Gaunt & Son, never produced other ranks’ badges for the Norfolk Regiment. This potentially addresses your query regarding the possibility of Gaunt having been the manufacturer of the variant you recently posted.

It would seem that during the period in which supplies of the new Royal Norfolk Regiment badges were being sought, the proposed designs submitted to the King for approval had been produced by Gaunt. In order to save money, it was hoped that the Gaunt sealed patterns might be acquired, therefore negating further expense in the preparation of new/duplicate dies. However, the document below tells us that Gaunt had hitherto never produced other ranks’ badges, and so consideration should perhaps be given to procuring badges from a firm which would produce both officers' and other ranks'.

A nice little annotation in the margin appears to read: ‘Gaunt have promised to supply OR patterns’

Fascinating stuff.

JT

JT TNA Norfolk Docs.jpg

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 22-05-22 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 22-05-22, 02:32 PM

JT. Great stuff, thanks very much for digging that information out. That clears the matter up once and for all? It's not Gaunt, with Firmin looking the favourite? It's been a great thread, I've learned a lot, and particularly like the VB variation shown. Another one to look out for. Thanks to all.
Old 22-05-22, 07:30 PM

Quote:
JT. Great stuff, thanks very much for digging that information out. That clears the matter up once and for all? It's not Gaunt, with Firmin looking the favourite? It's been a great thread, I've learned a lot, and particularly like the VB variation shown. Another one to look out for. Thanks to all.
Well said, Sir.

Thought I'd post my 'Boris' for scrutiny/comparison. I seem to recall paying a tenner for it a good few years back.

Boris 1.jpgBoris 2.jpg

JT
Old 22-05-22, 08:47 PM

I know Lambourne badges have had a good airing on the forum over the years, so thought it only fair to include this one:

JT Lambourne 1.jpgJT Lambourne 2.jpgJT Lambourne 3.jpg

I don't really know too much about Lambourne. Anyone want to pass sentence offer an opinion on this example?

Funny ol' slider... thin and straight and truncated.

No vent holes to the rear of the scroll either (just as a minor observation).

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 22-05-22 at 09:26 PM.
Old 22-05-22, 08:54 PM

Thanks JT. Here is my 'Boris', slider and three rectangular vent holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4149.jpg (79.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4150.jpg (74.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 22-05-22, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks JT. Here is my 'Boris', slider and three rectangular vent holes.
Seems to be the case with this variant that the 'T' and the 'H' of 'THE' are not on good speaking terms.

JT Boris Scroll.jpg
Old 22-05-22, 09:13 PM

True....Still, it's a work of art compared to the Lambourne effort.

Tags
maker, norfolk, other ranks, variant