British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-10, 09:36 PM

Default Lincolnshire Volunteer Battalions

I just bought these 3 from Boseleys from the Hugh King collection and thought I would post them before they go in the Album.

They are the Officers volunteer battalion's forage cap badge which is different from the regular battalions by having the voided circlet " Lincolnshire Regiment" in silver rather than gilt

The 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalion OR's Helmet Plates. Note the smaller lettering on the 2nd Battalion plate.

I've waited years for these and then 3 come along at once.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1288.jpg (61.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1286.jpg (56.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1285.jpg (56.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 13-03-10, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
I just bought these 3 from Boseleys from the Hugh King collection and thought I would post them before they go in the Album.

They are the Officers volunteer battalion's forage cap badge which is different from the regular battalions by having the voided circlet " Lincolnshire Regiment" in silver rather than gilt

The 1st and 2nd Volunteer Battalion OR's Helmet Plates. Note the smaller lettering on the 2nd Battalion plate.

I've waited years for these and then 3 come along at once.

James
Very nice, I blanked on all the Surrey RVC & VB ones I bid on.
Old 13-03-10, 10:09 PM

Smile Lincolns

Hopefully all Hugh Kings badges will be kept by people who appreciate them, even pics posted on this forum are appreciated . . !
Old 16-03-10, 11:24 AM

Smile Great badges

Thanks James for posting the pictures of these very fine Lincs Vol badges. They are very nice to see indeed. In particular I like the forage cap badge. I just picked up a silver plate, gilt aand enamel later issue version.

I also picked up a lugged WM Lincs badge that may be Vol batt or I am told that in 1918 some of the TF ones were in WM but am keen to research this and so will take pic and post for assistance.

Sadly my father passed away last weekend and as he was a former Lincs NCO I like you are focussing my collecting attention on this fine regiment.

Like many we collect to honour these regiments and the many that have served in them, lest we forget, many thanks Dean.
Old 16-03-10, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

By 1918 the Tf were wearing the standard Regular slidered badge in bi-metal. The 4th and 5th Bns TF wore a blank scroll bi-metal badge before 1917. If your lugged one has the Egypt title then it is not TF. I have a slidered badge which has been nickel plated. This may have no significance and has been discussed before with no conclussion. Only yesterday I saw a dealer's set of medals from a regular pre WW2 soldier which had a plated cap badge with them. He did not know whether this was contempory or had been done post war.

Possibilities could be pre1908 Militia Bn. The Vol Bns had their titles in lieu of the Egypt battlehonour as far as I am aware.

Alan
Old 16-03-10, 11:17 PM

Dean,

I would be very interested to see a photo of your lugged white metal Lincolnshire Badge. The one I have is slidered. I bought it from Boseleys when he had a stall in Islington in the 1980's. He described it as a walking out badge but I think that is open to dispute nowadays.

I started collecting Lincolnshire Regiment badges in ernest after a visit to the Regimental museum in Lincoln. I had served in The 2nd Battalion of The Royal Anglian Regiment and was looking forward to the visit. I have to say that I was disappointed as it wasn't as good as other Regimental Museums I had visited. I decided then that I would eventually donate my collection to the museum. So when I pop my clogs I should be able to add a bit to The Regimental Collection.

James
Old 17-03-10, 09:40 AM
Badge Guru

Good helmets plates. It is especially nice they came from Hugh King.

The Volunteers side cap badge is especially hard to find. Ive only ever seen one original and that was made from unmarked die struck heavy silver with lugs. The shape of the sphinx looked nothing like those current offerings on a well known auction site.

The sphinx on many of the copies resemble that of Royal Lincoln badge. This is incorrect. At one point you could buy those badges for 5 pounds from the museum shop.

It would of been nice to see a OR side cap badge Hugh King was happy with.
Old 17-03-10, 08:34 PM

Jibba Jabba,

You're right about the Sphynx. The one on the Royal Lincolnshire badge definitely has an "Art Deco" style face. As the "Art Deco" movement didn't start until the 1920's it follows that you shouldn't be seeing them on pre WW1 badges.

James
Old 17-03-10, 09:30 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Nice kit there James
Matti
Old 18-03-10, 04:02 PM

Smile Lincs WM badge

The WM Lincs badge is a nice heavy one and has slightly longer lugs. I hate to tease but am away with work and so cannot get a photo onto the forum until Monday. I am hoping the badge is a good one. I have shown it to a fellow Forum member and together we think it is ok. I have a couple of Lincs volunteers badges and had intended putting a photo of all on together for opinions. Another collector thought it was a militia badge from 1918. My late father thought it authentic and had tried hard to remember if he had seen one before as when he served with the Lincs he always remarked on the number of variations worn by soldiers like himself attached to a signal unit in the BAOR versus regular battalion soldiers cap badges. Many a time serving soldier had a few earlier badges still in their possession and for a time Dad had them on a belt etc. Seeing as maternal grandfather and brother both KIA Lincs at battle of the Marne I too am keen on the Lincs badges and James yours have been quite an inspiration.
Old 18-03-10, 06:19 PM

Default Lincolnshire Regt Museum

I may be wrong about this and don't mind being corrected if I am, but I seem to remember in the dim distant past being told the Lincolnshire museum selling off some of their badges.

As to whether these were surplus to requirements I was never told. I can remember seeing a whole lot of pre-territorial glengarry badges that a dealer was selling at Bedford that had supposedly come from the Lincolns museum. They were various regiments, not Lincolns.
Old 18-03-10, 06:51 PM

Sonofacqms

That is quite worrying. I wouldn't want to bequeth a collection to a museum if I thought they would just sell them off.
I recently visited The Staffordhire Regiment museum and saw a notice in the museum stating that they would no longer accept items on " Permanent loan" as they reserved the right to sell items.

James
Old 18-03-10, 07:53 PM

Unhappy Museums

Unfortunately, a fact of life is that museums like everyone else have to at least break even regarding finances. All buildings need upkeep which is expensive as well as light and heating, donations and help by volunteers softens the blow, but they all need financial help.

I have never heard of museums actually reserving the right to sell items displayed before, this can only mean that they intend to sell items as and when they need to. I for one would not offer anything however trivial on that basis.
Old 19-03-10, 08:27 AM

I have in the past donated items to Museums and I have to say that I might have had sescond thoughts if I had thought those items might be sold at some time in the future.

One Museum I know of had, to my knowledge, 3 examples of a scarce shoulder title, one example was given by the old comrades at a reunion in the 1920`s or 1930`s and this was documented in a copy of the Regimental Journal and 2 other examples were given by acquaintances of mine.

Some time ago I was in touch with the Museum and asked for some information about the title only to be told that they did not have an example in their collection- so where did they go?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 19-03-10, 05:38 PM

I visited a small military museum in Purfleet, Essex recently. It is run by volunteers. Much of the Museum consists of cabinets that are run by volunteers who display their collection. So for example one of them has a small display of firearms.
It seems a great way for collectors to use their collections to educate but still stay in their possession.

James

Tags
lincolnshire, volunteers