British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-22, 12:40 PM

Default These looked better on the photos!!!

Good or bad.
18th London's looked good with hairpin slider but on arrival seems like a replacement has been fitted.
The I of Court, I assume is collar badge size ? Looks like a fake now it has arrived.
Cheers,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220519_133009.jpg (91.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220519_133003.jpg (59.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220519_132944.jpg (67.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 20-05-22, 07:30 AM

Anyone help with whether these are to go on my London Regiment cards or be put in the fakes tin?
Thanks,

John
Old 20-05-22, 09:53 AM

John,

Does the London Irish have a ‘hairpin’ slider?

Regards,

JT
Old 20-05-22, 10:35 AM

Yes it does have a hairpin slider.
John
Old 20-05-22, 11:44 AM

John,

I have to admit that I struggle a bit with 'good' versus 'bad' badges when it comes to the London Irish. Some are a breeze to ID as good, and some stand out a mile as being obviously bad. There is however (at least for me) a chunk in the mid-section of that spectrum that I find difficult to navigate.

There are a lot of reasonably poor-quality examples I have seen pass muster here on the forum, some of which bear 'n' share attributes with yours; one example being the die fault just below the right arm (onlookers' right) of the cross at the centre of the crown:

London Irish Crown Fault.jpg

We see so many authentic badges of poor manufacturing quality; it's an aspect of collecting that, for the likes of me, can often add to the confusion when attempting to assess and appraise. All part of the fun too, of course.

Trawling through forum members' opinions in previous posts as to authenticity, I'd say yours would get the thumbs-up. I'd love to hear from other members on this badge though as I am very eager to be corrected and to learn. I'm wondering if there is an old London Irish-designated thread covering the pluses and minuses to look out for? I've had a quick butcher's but couldn't find one. Hoping there is.

Regards,

JT
Old 20-05-22, 11:58 AM

In albums there is a guide to spotting London Irish fakes by 2747andy. However when I try to view it it says I don't have enough priviliges to view it, what ever that means!!
John
Old 20-05-22, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindoostan View Post
In albums there is a guide to spotting London Irish fakes by 2747andy. However when I try to view it it says I don't have enough priviliges to view it, what ever that means!!
John
That album, as with all of Andy's albums, is no longer accessible to the forum.

JT
Old 20-05-22, 12:19 PM

Quote:
John
He is not a member any more , last post was in 2016 , so it probably means the album no longer exists ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 20-05-22, 12:26 PM

Quote:
John
Same here.

W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_2022-05-20_132641557.jpg (59.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 20-05-22, 12:31 PM

Can't access 2747andy's albums but by clicking on "Gallery" on the bar at the top of the page you can search "London Irish" and see various photos of badges posted by members.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...london%20irish

Edit : Just tried searching for "2747andy" in Gallery and have found 16 pages of photos. London Irish start on page 5 but unfortunately only thumb nails.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...747andy&page=5

If the thumb nails are still available perhaps the Mods have access to the full size photos ?

Last edited by mike_vee; 20-05-22 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 20-05-22, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Can't access 2747andy's albums but by clicking on "Gallery" on the bar at the top of the page you can search "London Irish" and see various photos of badges posted by members.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...london%20irish

Edit : Just tried searching for "2747andy" in Gallery and have found 16 pages of photos. London Irish start on page 5 but unfortunately only thumb nails.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...747andy&page=5

If the thumb nails are still available perhaps the Mods have access to the full size photos ?

Mike,

Yes indeed, thumbnails only are viewable, but access is possible no further.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=69167
Old 20-05-22, 04:23 PM

Perhaps you could download the thumbs and then expand them on your PC? The amount of detail will be based on how many pixels his camera had. If a low number the expanded pictures will be worthless, so I would try one before going to the trouble to do others.

Terry
Old 20-05-22, 05:25 PM

Have looked at mine against the photos , although small, and mine appears to be the similar to numbers 5 and 6 as the slider is also nickel plated. The crown is correct as it is not a taller version one, so I am reasonably happy mine is ok.
John
Old 20-05-22, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Perhaps you could download the thumbs and then expand them on your PC? The amount of detail will be based on how many pixels his camera had. If a low number the expanded pictures will be worthless, so I would try one before going to the trouble to do others.

Terry
I tried that Terry , thumb nails are so small that all detail is lost when you enlarge them.

Old 21-05-22, 12:17 AM

In my opinion both badges are genuine, although not the finest examples. The I of C collar is probably just originates from one of the myriad of suppliers in wartime that may not have been from WD contracts, as perhaps the Footballers of Loos too. Actually, I think that one is a rather interesting variant that I would certainly not mind having!

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 21-05-22 at 12:28 AM.