British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-02-10, 11:29 AM

Default Highland Light Infantry

I have two Highland Light Infantry badges but they are different. I am hoping some might tell me if they are different because one, or both are a bit dodgy. but if they seem okay, what is the reason for the difference. Approximately what period would they be? The one on the left seems a bit more silvery than the one on the right.

I am getting better. I was able to figure out the monogram in the centre.

Donny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010760.jpg (68.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg P1010761.jpg (59.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1010763.jpg (66.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1010764.jpg (55.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-02-10, 12:48 PM

Donny,
The one on the right looks pretty good. Just compared it with my own, and can't see anything wrong with it. I'm not just 100% but I reckon the one on the left may be a Victorian crown version. The HLI was a very large regiment, and there are probably a few die variations. Usually easy enough to get a genuine example of one of their badges though.
The RHF museum in Glasgow is usually fairly quick to answer any queries by email.

John
Old 04-02-10, 01:52 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I agree with John,

QVC and KC, I'm not too sure about the QVC either, the crown looks badly flawed and the general stamp is poor, particularly the scroll ??

I'm not happy with the reverse at all, having said this, I'm generally wrong anyway !!

Dave.
Old 04-02-10, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. The crown on the badge on the left does not really look like the QV crowns with which I am familiar.that I have seen. If it is a copy then it is a poor old effort. The crown is different, the monogram appears smaller, the Assaye banner is a different shape, the elephant is standing on a smaller plinth, the feathers (or whatever they are meant to be) behind the crown and at the sides are different.

On another thread someone said something about giving a badge "the bend test". This badge seems solid enough to resist a reasonable amount of force in an attempt to bend it....though I do not want to be too heavy handed.

Donny
Old 04-02-10, 04:43 PM

Donny here is my kings crown version, which i think is a good one!,to illustrates John's point ie large regiment different dies.You gotta watch the bend test, many years ago i 'banana'd' a few perfectly good badges,'Oh i could crush a grape'.Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hli 1.jpg (97.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg hli 2.jpg (80.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-02-10, 06:37 PM

Default HLI Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
I have two Highland Light Infantry badges but they are different. I am hoping some might tell me if they are different because one, or both are a bit dodgy. but if they seem okay, what is the reason for the difference. Approximately what period would they be? The one on the left seems a bit more silvery than the one on the right.

I am getting better. I was able to figure out the monogram in the centre.

Donny
Hi Donny

Here are my HLI badges for comparison. They include an Officer's qvc, an OR's qvc, various kc including the plastic one and a qc. They are all lugged E-W, except the plastic one which has the usual blades. In my opinion, having had all of them for 40+ years, they are all genuine. You will see variations but this is to be expected in a Regiment which raised so many battalions in both world wars.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLI Badges.jpg (26.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg HLI Badges 2 001.jpg (32.1 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-02-10, 12:24 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Donny,

Following the theme, here are mine, I do, of course have doubts about the ' bronze '/' brass ' example, I would like to think that I dropped on and it is bronze...but............?

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2b 049.jpg (28.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 2b 050.jpg (22.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2b 051.jpg (32.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 2b 052.jpg (27.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-02-10, 08:18 PM

Hi Donny,

Your first badge looks to me to have a QVC. The HLI didn't have what you would call the usual curvy or angular pattern QVC. They had a flat topped variety. Several other units had this type of crown (9th Lancers, 21st Lancers & East Surreys) and it is said to have been awarded to units who served in India at the time of the 1897 Jubilee because it was similar to to that depicted in the Order of the Star of India*. (*Source: Gaylor)

As to whether it is good or not, I will leave to more experienced members.

Cheers

Ian
Old 06-02-10, 03:18 AM

That makes a bit of sense. I am still a novice but the crown seems to be unlike any with which I am familiar. I shall now try to find a picture of an Order of the Star of India to see what that crown looks like.

Donny
Old 06-02-10, 07:00 AM

Well that was quite satisfying. If we are looking at the crown from which the cameo of Queen Victoria is suspended from the Knight Grand Commander's collar, it is very similar indeed to the one on my badge. That is very heartening and gives a klittle more credence to my badge. Are QV HLI badges particularly common?

Donny