British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-02-11, 10:46 AM

Default Unknown Lincolnshire badge

Hi all,

I have this badge pictured in my Lincolnshire album but have been unable to positively identify it.

It is made of cast silver and has a backing plate and three screw threads for attachment to a pouch or cross-belt.

It bears the arms of the city of Lincoln as does the Lincolnshire Yeomanry but the Ready motto does not fit.

There were two volunteer battalions of the Lincolnshire regiment according to Records and Badges of the British Army by Chichester and Burgess Short but they don't quite match.

Is it Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers? or Militia?

Any assistance kindly appreciated, regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inf.33.f.jpg (64.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg inf.33.r2.jpg (53.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 21-02-11, 07:30 PM

Dean,

I haven't seen this badge before. It certainly looks like some kind of accoutrement badge from the fixings and I would hazard a guess that it is Lincolnshire Yeomanry. However the LY badge has a wreath of laurel leaves around the shield and your badge has oak leaves.

James
Old 22-02-11, 01:07 AM

Stab in the dark here:

If it is Lincolnshire Yeomanry, could it be a horse harness accoutrement, in particular the badge that fits on the martingale on the horse's chest?

Regards

Brian
Old 22-02-11, 07:17 AM

Thanks James and Brian,

Appreciate the inputs gentleman and will have to do some further research, will write to Lincs museum, cheers Dean.
Old 20-02-12, 11:57 AM

Some further research points to this badge perhaps being a shoulder belt plate for the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers which became the 81st Foot. The central motif works but Ready motto is still not a fit.

More to be done, cheers Dean.
Old 20-02-12, 12:55 PM

I would be inclined to it being a pouch belt plate of one of the Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers based on the metal, the fittings and the motto.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-02-12, 01:12 PM

Could the badge in the photo be the same ? The officer is Lt.Col Williams of the 1st.V.B. Lincolnshire Regiment.

The picture of the pouch belt plate is not clear but the outline,crown and bottom scroll look similar.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img001.jpg (57.6 KB, 51 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-02-12, 01:47 PM

Wow - it looks really similar and was suggested by several others as being Lincolnshire RV or VB item. I saw a regimental crest for Loyal Lincoln Volunteers that match with fleur de lys and crossed parrallel lines - but yes more likely a pouch badge and if the motto fits that is a closer match.

Many thanks Dean
Old 21-04-12, 12:51 AM

Hi all,

I have now been informed by a well researched Lincolnshire Regiment badge collector that the badge is a:

1st Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteer Corps shoulder belt plate - a Victorian crowned wreath. Lincoln city arms to centre with Ready scroll at base. The Officers wore silver and Senior NCOs bronze. City units had the Ready scroll, those without are county units. Cast silver with sliver backing plate on 3 screw fittings, (85x62mm). Worn 1880-1883. Unit designated 1st VB Lincolnshire Regiment on 13th May 1883.
Old 29-01-14, 11:17 AM

Further update that the badge in this thread has now been positively identified as a 1st Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers (Lincoln) Officer's pouch belt plate circa 1860-1883.

Regards and thanks to all who assisted me with this one, Dean.

Tags
lincolnshire