British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-20, 10:31 AM

Smile Australian Squadron King's Colonials NCO's Arm Badge

Hi all,

I know I am probably in the minority for really liking the King's Colonials/King Edward's Horse and 2nd King Edward's Horse and their badges to the point of obsession but just maybe some other members find them of interest.

So here I share a postcard from the annual camp of the KEH at Aldershot in 1911.

What is exciting to me anyway is that the Serjeant is wearing his KEH Regimental pattern cap badge (likely to be the first pattern 'Saxon' crown variety KK 1506) as he should be as they changed to this badge with the name change to KEH from King's Colonials in 1910 with an Australian 'C' Squadron headdress badge worn as his NCOs arm badge (KK 1375) and what looks to be matching Australian 'C' Squadron collars.

It is the first photograph I have found of this Squadron headdress badge (1905-1910) being worn as an NCOs arm badge but not when he was pre-1910 with it also a headdress badge but after he should have changed over to a KEH arm badge. The wearing of Squadron collars with KEH headdress badges is well represented in photographs on my website www.kingscolonials.com but not NCOs arm badges. I have photographic proof of the Australasian headdress badge (KK 1376) being worn as an NCOs arm badge (1902-1905) and now the Australian Squadron badge.

To me this illustrates the pride they showed in their Squadrons and iconic badges of the Dominions they represent.

The Serjeant I shall try and identify from my Nominal Roll and I note he is wearing at least proficiency stars on his lower right cuff. The Officer to his right is wearing a bronzed Officer's version of the KEH Regimental pattern headdress badge (KK 1506).

Anyway I shall go back to eagerly awaiting the clinical trial results from our UQ COVID-19 vaccine that has kept me from the Forum as it should.

Stay safe all, cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEH 1911 post.jpg (86.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg KEH Roo 1911.jpg (31.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Roos.jpg (82.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 23-07-20, 11:09 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Dean

What a great find and yes I am excited, but you knew that already. Are we as excited about the work on the vaccine ?

Be good, wash your hands and keep safe.

Regards

Phil.
Old 23-07-20, 11:56 AM

Thanks Phil.

The postcard is from a series and I have an image of the adjacent one as well with a section of KEH and one of the Troopers appears in both.

Yes the research team have done a fabulous job in months rather than years and so been a pleasure to support them with 60 contracts in 4 months and securing $50M to fund it. If our trial results are as good as Oxford’s then we can all be more confident of controlling this pandemic, take care, cheers Dean

Tags
king edward's horse, king's colonials