British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-07-20, 01:28 PM

Default Rand Light Infantry beret badge emblem

A chap who was in the Rand Light Infantry in 1964 left his kit with me to redistribute as he no longer had space and his kit had become a casualty of his downsizing. His rather moth eaten khaki beret sported an RLI badge, but I was intrigued by a small rose emblem on a ribbon bar below the badge. I have never seen this before and am wondering if anyone can tell me what it represented .
Many thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rli.jpg (47.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 17-07-20, 05:50 PM

I believe it represents Princess Margaret, who was appointed colonel-in-chief of the RLI after the royal visit in 1947. At that time, she was known as Princess Margaret Rose.

The previous colonel-in-chief, the Duke of Connaught, is represented by the coronet and heraldic 'label' in the badge itself.

Arthur
Old 18-07-20, 03:05 AM

I have always wondered about this, and inquiries have all fallen flat, alas here is a picture of a RSM.

1&d=1595041351
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsm-rli.jpg (49.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 18-07-20, 09:01 AM

I know little about the unit but that's a great beret, I really like it.
Old 19-07-20, 03:59 PM

I have just looked at the regimental history ( Rand Light Infantry compiled by Major B G Simkins) and it is spelled out quite clearly. If I may quote on the bit that I feel is relevant ..."In February 1947 orders were received that no South African Divisional flashes would be allowed to be worn on uniforms in future and , in October , helmets gave way to brown seamless berets which were imported from England. Helmets were retained and worn only on ceremonial parades. A blue material was sewn to the beret to form a background to the badge.Immediately under the badge , a silk flash with Regimental colours was worn..."
Later he explained the rose, which confirms what Arthur said. ..."In 1948, authority ws received to wear the Tudor Rose on the Regimental flash. The Tudor Rose is part of Princess Margaret's heraldic emblem and the honour of wearing it was bestowed on the Regiment by her Royal Highness when she became the Colonel in Chief in 1947. ( Due to unforseen circumstances , the wearing of the Tudor Rose was not possible until the annual training camp in 1952)..."
So the rose was worn from 1952 , at least until 1964. Does anyone know when the rose was discontinued ?
Thanks for all the input.
Mike
Old 20-07-20, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
So the rose was worn from 1952 , at least until 1964. Does anyone know when the rose was discontinued ?
It may still be worn. The photo of the RSM posted above, which apparently dates from 2007, shows the rose below the badge.

Arthur
Old 20-07-20, 12:17 PM

Maybe the fact that nobody really understands the meaning of the rose would possibly account for its continued existence. Is the Rand Light Infantry still operating and has it retained its name ? I get the sense that the whole Citizen Force structure is in disarray.
Old 10-08-20, 02:10 PM

Curzon's book states that the rose is symbolic of Princess Margaret who was the Colonel in Chief of the regt. An early example of one in the collection for interest.