British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-11-11, 12:33 PM

Default Help Please

The small diamond shaped buttons were found on a card of Kings Liverpool badges and someone had written at the side of them "OTC"

I am pretty sure they are nothing to do with the Kings or any Liverpool OTC but can anyone please tell me what they are ?

I cannot make out the writing around the front edges but they are marked "Sword make-made in England " on the back and there is a makers mark of crossed swords.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3180.jpg (38.3 KB, 53 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 27-11-11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 12:58 PM

Hello Peter, I'm pretty sure Bill Tagg has a couple of these in his shop marked as OTC? Saw them on Friday.
To be honest I should have asked about them, as I have posted similar on the forum for ID in the past without any joy.
Here they are.
Cheers Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:11 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 01:06 PM
Peter J

'Clan na Gael':

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=267394.0

PJ
Old 27-11-11, 01:31 PM

Thanks Peter,

Interesting where buttons "made in England" turn up. I knew there were some Irish Regiments in the American Civil War.

Tony,

I actually bought the buttons from Billy at the Liverpool Fair today although I had seen them a couple of weeks ago on his stall at the Preston Fair.

My buttons have what looks like an upright lion in the centre where yours have the Maid of Erin.

As I thought no connection to the Kings or OTC`s but still interesting.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-11-11, 01:36 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Thanks Peter,

Interesting where buttons "made in England" turn up. I knew there were some Irish Regiments in the American Civil War.

Tony,

I actually bought the buttons from Billy at the Liverpool Fair today although I had seen them a couple of weeks ago on his stall at the Preston Fair.

As I thought no connection to the Kings or OTC`s but still interesting.

Peter
Peter,

Googling 'Clan na Gael' and/or 'Clann na nGael' seems to reveal how ubiquitous the term actually is.

I have now seen it used for the names of pipe bands, Irish dancing clubs, on a spoof Guinness label, in connection with the rise of the Irish Republican movement, ad infinitum.

Seems to be a little difficult to pin down precisely as it is so widely used.

Regards,

Peter.
Old 27-11-11, 01:41 PM

Could not find anything on the web for" sword make " buttons but this is an interesting resource:

http://www.ukdfd.net/pages/buttonsntoz.html#anchortop

Peter, Thanks for your latest post, I wish I could remember where I read about the Irish Regiments in the American Civil War.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 27-11-11 at 07:57 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 01:53 PM

Peter,
The button from the civil war also has the lion on it. Whether they can be described as Irish Regiments is debatable.
Eddie
Old 27-11-11, 02:16 PM

Thanks Eddie,

I had noted that and that the button did not come from the battlefield location but was found at a "site in Town" which is rather an interesting phrase to use.

I see what you mean about regiments in the American Civil war being described as Irish but some Americans seem to consider them to have been Irish Regiments :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(U.S.)

Peter
( There is a wilkipedia entry for the Irish Brigade but when I copy and paste the link it does not take you to the same entry )

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 27-11-11 at 02:30 PM.
Old 27-11-11, 02:25 PM

Good spot Peter did'nt notice the different central device on your buttons!
Tony.
Old 27-11-11, 02:28 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Could find anything on the web for" sword make " buttons but this is an interesting resource:

http://www.ukdfd.net/pages/buttonsntoz.html#anchortop

Peter for your latest post, I wish I could remember where I read about the Irish Regiments in the American Civil War.

Peter
Peter,

Found a couple of references to 'Sword Make':

http://people.smartchat.net.au/~gree...Samplebook.htm

http://www.buttoncrs.com/backmarks.html

Peter.
Old 27-11-11, 02:39 PM

Peter,
Incredible, thanks again.

Peter

Old 27-11-11, 04:48 PM

Peter,
It is amazing how a button can lead to sush an interesting thread.
Eddie