British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-10-09, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Museum Tour...

Many museums across Canada have displays of militaria. Some are well known, like the War Museum. However, many small, local museums may have a display or even a notable item or two. Could we start a list of museums that have militaria displays, including a brief description or notation of what may be seen, the location and any comments? (Only open on weekends or only open seasonally. Hours of operation, entrance fees, etc.)
Old 17-10-09, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up Regimental Museums!

Good idea Bill, over the years I managed to visit several across Canada. Most of them were in regimental armouries. Ive have been in the one in London,Ontario, Moose Jaw,Sask. Prince Edward Island, Calgary, RCMP depot,Regina, Toronto, Canadian Scottish,Victoria BC, Saskatoon, and the Seaforths,Vancouver BC. I do not recall the opening times or days,but I remember that the one in Victoria had a montage of trench warfare displayed, to get in,you had to walk through a simulated trench with sound effects,flashes,simulated explosions and manikins firing over the parapet, etc.etc. some of the manikins were positioned to appear like they were about to "go over the top" This one was far and away the most impressive one of all of them.
Old 17-10-09, 11:59 PM

I was at the Halifax Citadel this afternoon...very nice display!!!
Old 19-10-09, 03:36 AM

There is a small museum at the Royal Canadian Legion here in Sherbrooke (Lennoxville).

Next time I go for a brew, I'll take pictures...

It's like Ali Baba's cavern.... all kind of stuff.

From the 1800's to Afghanistan. Canadian, US, German....

Opened on demand whenever the Legion is opened... (6pm - 10pm ?)

Feeless, unless you drink too much and have to take a cab home.

If there is someone up there with you, they might let you see the photo albums... like the one taken on D-Day!
Old 19-10-09, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

There is also a nice little museum in the Owen Sound Legion. Moe, can you give the details?
The Legion in North Bay has a hallway of medals and badges. Unfortunately, when the display was put together, there was not much concern about preserving the insignia for posterity, and the lugs were mostly snipped off and small finishing nails were used to mount the badges on plywood plaques. Not a big deal with RCA or RCASC badges, but everytime I go by the Garrison Regiment badge I wince. The upper hallway is not open at all times, but I believe the steward in the bar downstairs can arrange a visit.
Old 19-10-09, 02:02 PM

Default Owen Sound Museums

Another good idea, Bill.

The museum at Owen Sound, Branch 6, of the Royal Canadian Legion is open Monday through Saturday, 12 noon to 11 p.m. The museum is located at 1450 Second Avenue, West, Owen Sound. Every one is welcome; there is no fee, but there is an electronic key pass entry. To gain admittance to the Branch, if you are not a Branch member, you must buzz the bar, identify yourself and report to the bar person on duty.
The museum's collection of uniforms, badges, photos and weapons ranges from the pre-WWI militia period to the current era; with an emphasis on Grey and Bruce county units.
I should also mention the Billy Bishop House and Museum located on 3rd Avenue, West in Owen Sound. Bishop was born and raised in Owen Sound and the family home has been designated a National Heritage Site. Besides the Billy Bishop memoribilia the museum has a collection of WWI Royal Flying Corps artifacts and is definitely worth a visit. I'm not sure of the hours of opening but is should not be too difficult to find them on the Internet.

Moe.
Old 19-10-09, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwetdude View Post
There is a small museum at the Royal Canadian Legion here in Sherbrooke (Lennoxville).

Do you mean the ANAVETS hall? I have been there and the collection is quite nice. It is on the second floor and full mannequins are accurately dressed.

PS. I went to school in Lennoxville (BCS)
Old 19-10-09, 06:38 PM

If you are in Calgary Alberta then a must see is the Museum of the Regiments. It's Western Canada's biggest military museum and has lots of fascinating items to look at. Features the Calgary Highlanders, Princess Pats, Kings Own and Lord Strathcona's.... also if you are in Alberta and up in Edmonton you should stop in at Milarm.... upstairs is Al Kerr's private collection which I believe has museum status... it's a wonderful display of Canadian militaria.... and if you are in Regina Saskatchewan you should look up Bob Henderson as he has museum status for his museum specializing in P.O.W. items carvings art etc...
Old 19-10-09, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Do you mean the ANAVETS hall?
Yes I guess that's the one... (not sure how they call it)

It's on St-Francis road and has a naval gun up front.

I'll try and post pictures... not shure if they'll be great, with the glasses on the display rooms...