British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-09, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cape Breton Highlanders' Officer's cap badge

Does anyone have an example of the officer's Cape Breton Highlanders' cap badge? Are they made of sterling on gilt, or sterling on an osd finish?
Old 23-07-09, 03:21 PM

I have two, Bill. One is matte / frosted silver on chocolate, the other is silver on gilt.
Old 23-07-09, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Doug. Are they maker marked or hallmarked?
Old 23-07-09, 09:06 PM

Smile RE: Cape Breton Hldrs officers badge

Hi Doug, would it be possible for you to post a photo of those 2 badges, I have never seen one up close. Many thanks for your efforts here. "bgpipes"
Old 24-07-09, 02:19 AM

The dark badge is marked W SCULLY LTD MONTREAL. The gilt badge is not marked, but is probably a Scully product also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbhdark.jpg (66.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg cbhgilt.jpg (79.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 24-07-09, 03:05 AM

WOW, real nice......for both.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-07-09, 07:52 AM

I agree with Jo, very nice badges ini deed. I am about to start down the slippery slope of adding Officers pattern badges to my collection.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 24-07-09, 11:32 AM

So Clifford, you intend to do a lot of overtime ......don't tell the Mrs.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 24-07-09, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Doug. Your examples are significantly different from the officer's badge in Fullerton's lot offered on ebay.
Cliff, there are treatments for that disorder...
Old 24-07-09, 12:03 PM

....and one treatment is called Mrs. Clifford........
Jo

Old 24-07-09, 12:12 PM

After a third look at the uniform, I notice that it has only two ribbons, France & Germany and the Italy Star (missing are, 39-45 Star,Defence,CVSM,War Medal).......
OK Gents, what am I missing here ???
Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-07-09 at 12:20 PM.
Old 24-07-09, 03:44 PM

Jo, I noted the same, but why is he referred to as Major?? The rank on the epaulets is that of a Colonel. No?

As for overtime, well Jo I tell you, I was supposed to return to Canada on Monday 27 July, I agreed to extend for another month. My lovely wife is not too happy about that decision at all. My only saving grace is I promised to be home before my youngest daughters' 16th birthday.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 24-07-09, 04:53 PM

Well Clifford, he may have ordered this uniform as a Major, while in the UK, in wartime, Also, he may have kept the uniform, post war,stayed in the army, and then became after some time an honorary Colonel of the CBH ?????? But why keep the CBH patch on an honorary Col. post war uniform ????? Another question, IF I suppose, he went to the UK as an officer,what happened to his previous uniform, knowing that to be outfitted as a Highlander was kind of expensive ????

And better propose to spend some "quality time" with the Mrs.....
Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-07-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 25-07-09, 02:45 PM

Thumbs up CBH officers badges

Many thanks for the postings Doug, I have a dark bronze copy of this badge,device is not frosty like yours, all very nice however. "bgpipes"
Old 16-02-11, 02:04 AM

Default CBH Officers Badges

Bill, Doug, please note that the pictures of the badges that are posted are very nice quality, but the Battle Bronsed pic is the original WWII era hatbadge worn by the unit, the 2nd pic is a replica that is currently in circulation. William Scully was indeed a manufacturer, but there are also other manufacturers that have been contracted over the years. Also worth noting, there were 3 Battle Bronsed versions of this hatbadge that was actually in service at various times, 1 of which is about to come back into service as the unit has been granted authority from the Minister of National Defence to be rebadged and renamed to its original title of The Cape Breton Highlanders, if interested, i can post the 3 pics on this site in the future.