British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-11-11, 04:05 PM

Default The use of regimental pattern buttons by Infantry O/Rs 1881-1922

I am looking for some advice on the wearing of regimental pattern buttons by Infantry regiment O/Rs in the period 1881 – 1922 and more particularly for the disbanded Irish Regiments.

Buttons are not my first love and my knowledge is sparse. It is my understanding that from 1871 other ranks of most regiments were issued general service pattern buttons by Ordnance and it was c 1924 before regimental pattern buttons were supplied at public expense to O/Rs. I believe that Officers generally provided themselves with regimental pattern buttons.

I am looking for advice on the following.

What is the reason for all the brass (non-gilt) buttons that are so common, I refer of course to the disbanded Irish regiments ? Are they regimental pattern buttons supplied to O/Rs at regimental expense?

Is there any published material available on the supply and use of regimental pattern buttons to line Infantry regiments in the general period 1881 – 1922 or can anyone provide me with clarity on whether regiments produced and issued regimental pattern buttons to O/Rs.

I would appreciate any perspective and direction.

John
Old 21-11-11, 04:47 PM

See GWF search "regimental buttons"

Great War, other ranks:
GS buttons in gilding metal the n
orm for infantry of the Line, the exceptions being usually but not exclusively Senior NCOs.

Regimental versions noted in at least one battalion of the following: Royal Scots, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, Border Regt, Notts & Derbys, KOYLI, Ox and Bucks, Welsh, HLI.

Most 'Rifles' including TF battalions had black buttons of regimental design for all ranks, but not all, and not always.

6th DLI had black buttons.

Foot Guards usually had regimental pattern buttons. Exceptions have been noted, and even 'mixed' buttons on one garment.

MGC had regimental buttons, but not universally during the war period.

a colleague qualified this as follows this as follows:
Rifle regiments usually changed their GS buttons to black horn buttons with strung bugle motif [photos show that they did not always].
Rifle battalions with a local affiliation often wore buttons of regimental design, usually black horn but sometimes metal.
Foot Guards sometimes wore regimental pattern buttons. [In my experience both photos and surviving jackets show GS buttons more often than regimental ones.]
Old 21-11-11, 05:49 PM

Chaplains wore the black button of the Adjutant General's Department as they had none of their own until 1930. In 1904 the Staff (who had hitherto worn this button) were given their own button (as today) leaving Chaplains with this non-descript button throughout the Great War
Interestingly, this same button, anodised, was given to the AGC on formation (6 Apr 1992) as a throwback to something earlier, but it looked dreadful, like from a blazer, that it was discarded in favour of their own badge thereupon.
Old 22-11-11, 03:07 AM

[QUOTE=grumpy;143031]See GWF search "regimental buttons"

Great War, other ranks:
QUOTE]

Many thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, I have posted there looking for some specific information.

The thread itself is very helpful .

John