British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-16, 09:48 AM

Default Moral dilema - 25th Independent Infantry Brigade

I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do with the attached - it came with a WW1 family group, which is my collecting field.

2nd Battalion Dorsets photograph (India circa 1942-4) and framed cloth patches, tags, medals etc.

The pair of 25th Independent Infantry Brigade formation signs stand out. Should I sell everything together or split it all up?

My moral compass is conflicting heavily with the need to recoup some funds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5140001 (Large).jpg (92.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 14-05-16, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastaircox View Post
I would appreciate your thoughts on what to do with the attached - it came with a WW1 family group, which is my collecting field.

2nd Battalion Dorsets photograph (India circa 1942-4) and framed cloth patches, tags, medals etc.

The pair of 25th Independent Infantry Brigade formation signs stand out. Should I sell everything together or split it all up?

My moral compass is conflicting heavily with the need to recoup some funds!
Keep it all together. It represents one mans service and tells his story as is. With the identity discs you even have his name and number, which makes for easy research.

It can only go up in value in the longer term.
Old 14-05-16, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Keep it all together. It represents one mans service and tells his story as is. With the identity discs you even have his name, which makes for easy research.

It can only go up in value in the longer term.
Totally agree with the above post. Split it up and the story/information contained therein is lost for ever.

Roger
Old 14-05-16, 10:52 AM

I would keep it together and a Dorset collector would snap your hand off.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 14-05-16, 11:13 AM

I would certainly keep all the items together BUT I would reframe them in a larger frame, displayed in a more aesthetically pleasing layout and with the owners details and service history ( or at least his name and regiment ) on a small card or plaque.

P.B.

( I have a dilemma at the moment, there is a nice complete shako for sale but I only want the plate off it )

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-05-16, 01:51 PM

Thank you, that's much as I thought.

When you say easy to research, my experience of WW2 servicemen is far from that. How would I go about finding out more information given there is no family connection to me?
Old 14-05-16, 02:09 PM

Alistair,

A number of members here seem to like a challenge, might be worth posting the details on the dog tags, somebody might be able to start the ball rolling with some more information.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 14-05-16, 02:23 PM

Hi agree too,

It may be tempting to split it up but there are hundreds/thousands of individual badges out there with no history. This group retains the history and provenance and you can't re-create that once broken up.

Cheerio, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 14-05-16, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastaircox View Post
Thank you, that's much as I thought.

When you say easy to research, my experience of WW2 servicemen is far from that. How would I go about finding out more information given there is no family connection to me?
There are ways, and you might get lucky if he has an unusual surname. Also, his number "block" might be able to tell you if he served in another unit before the Dorsets.

Ayway, just because something is not easily possible today you need to keep the items together, and think in the longer term.

Some of us remember the time before it was possible to find out about WW1 service easily. Sometimes we were told that the record was burned in a WW2 German air raid.
Old 14-05-16, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi agree too,

It may be tempting to split it up but there are hundreds/thousands of individual badges out there with no history. This group retains the history and provenance and you can't re-create that once broken up.

Cheerio, Roy.
In my view it's a particularly interesting group since the soldier concerned served in the British Commonwealth Occupation Force Japan. 25 Indep Inf Bde was the only British brigade to serve in Japan - a unique experience for 2 RWF, 2 Dorsets and 1 Cameron Hldrs. Please keep it all together! Mike