British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-04-20, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsden View Post
Toby,
Using other badges to illustrate, L to R. Die struck, Die-cast, flat cast or solid there is no male die used.
Ron.
Thank you Ron, I understand now. So one version had a completely flat back and with the other you could see the detail of the dies impression on the rear.
Old 20-04-20, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Boer War pipe, the bowl mounted with a WM St.Andrew collar the stem engraved in a spiral from bottom up. ROYAL HIGHLANDERS BLACK WATCH MAGERSFONTEIN HILL 1900, above this 42 within a thistle wreath.

A piece close to my heart; as an inveterate pipe smoker, I would of course put it back to life!

CB
Old 23-04-20, 08:23 AM

Sports medal in Phillips case. One mile medley race winners 1936.
1st Bn stationed in Khartoum, with detachments at Atbara 1936/8.
It aint arf hot mum!
Old 26-04-20, 10:20 AM

42nd OR's yellow brass collar badge, mounted on an old collection display board with battle honours up to Ashantee. According to Churchill pattern no 9626 worn 1878-1882. The reverse is interesting die-struck with a thin peripheral wall thickness then back filled and gilded?
CH 1157.

Old 09-05-20, 10:47 AM

From the Illustrated London News 30 March 1850.
Old 14-05-20, 08:49 AM

42nd officers plaid brooch in unmarked silver 3.7/8 inch diameter 3.95oz.
Die-cast St. Andrew mounted on a thistle wreath fixed to the quoit by three bolts bottom nut missing. The quality of cast details on the thistles is particularly fine. Well made stout brooch pin to the reverse the strongest example I have seen. The scroll engraving is close to the edge of the quoit, there is some old polish residue adhereing to the front of the brooch.
Makers mark of CS within a rectangle matches that of Charles Shaw London silversmith 1845-1877. For this style compare picture of Col Priestly and 42nd officers 1866.

Old 14-05-20, 03:46 PM

That brooch is one of the better examples I have ever seen. And that photo....one of my favorite uniform styles. I have always wished that those cuffs were retained by the Black Watch.

CB
Old 18-07-20, 05:11 PM

Quote:
42nd OR's yellow brass collar badge, mounted on an old collection display board with battle honours up to Ashantee. According to Churchill pattern no 9626 worn 1878-1882. The reverse is interesting die-struck with a thin peripheral wall thickness then back filled and gilded?
CH 1157.

I had the back filling on this badge analysed.
Its gypsom rabbit skin glue and gilt paint in other words artists gesso.
That's a new one on me!
Old 07-10-20, 10:23 AM

Copper gilt waistcoat mess dress button by Armfield & Co Ltd Birmingham.
Hand engraved numerals through the gilt.
Old 21-11-20, 01:16 PM

Invitation card with embossed badge, lettering in the form of handwriting.
Wavell was Colonel of the regiment 1946-1950, interesting to note the use of 42 numerals at this late date.
Old 25-11-20, 10:25 AM

Hello Ron,

just a short note about your post n° 193 from 42nd badges.

i have in my collection this badge bought in the 85-90's ( i have forgotten the dealer).
It is exactly the same as your item : no flash and letters misaligned

Any further comments are welcome.

Stay safe.
Regards.
Jean-Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bw42b.jpg (86.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg bw42a.jpg (93.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-11-20, 04:26 PM

It is the same as post 193. They certainly have some age to them, but are not of the quality normally seen.

CB
Old 25-11-20, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlandthebrave View Post
Hello Ron,

just a short note about your post n° 193 from 42nd badges.

i have in my collection this badge bought in the 85-90's ( i have forgotten the dealer).
It is exactly the same as your item : no flash and letters misaligned

Any further comments are welcome.

Stay safe.
Regards.
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie,
Sorry but I have to disagree with you, it is certainly from the same die.
But there is definitely remains of flash between the numerals on your example.
Regards Ron.
Old 25-11-20, 09:41 PM

IMO both are repros. The loops are not Victorian and have feet. The construction is incorrect for the QVC period having a solid back with no braze holes or pinned parts, quite unlike any other overlaid BM cap or glengarry badge. The metal colour too, especially the WM, is wrong.

Also the features of the badge itself I find stylistically awkward and poor, most notably the coarse seeding, ill-defined and misaligned lettering, and the spacer at 6 o’clock in the circlet... what’s it even supposed to be? All hallmarks of a modern repro-ers hand.

Finally the badge is in the Martin Marsh catalogue. It’s one of his fakes. Whether it is a fantasy item or not I’m sure you know better than I, but if these are the only examples of this badge then I suspect it is.

It is very common to find variations in the quality of strike, finish, voiding etc. with Martin Marsh’s wares. This in my belief accounts for the lack of the fillet between the 4 and 2 on the example in post #193.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E58F0BCC-7585-4A83-BEBB-D939058CC470.jpeg (93.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 26-11-20, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
IMO both are repros. The loops are not Victorian and have feet. The construction is incorrect for the QVC period having a solid back with no braze holes or pinned parts, quite unlike any other overlaid BM cap or glengarry badge. The metal colour too, especially the WM, is wrong.

Also the features of the badge itself I find stylistically awkward and poor, most notably the coarse seeding, ill-defined and misaligned lettering, and the spacer at 6 o’clock in the circlet... what’s it even supposed to be? All hallmarks of a modern repro-ers hand.

Finally the badge is in the Martin Marsh catalogue. It’s one of his fakes. Whether it is a fantasy item or not I’m sure you know better than I, but if these are the only examples of this badge then I suspect it is.

It is very common to find variations in the quality of strike, finish, voiding etc. with Martin Marsh’s wares. This in my belief accounts for the lack of the fillet between the 4 and 2 on the example in post #193.
Luke,
Thanks for your observations, I think I have to agree with you.
Ron.