British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-20, 09:18 AM

Default Two British Legion badges for comment

Hi all

Please find attached two British Legion badge from my collection.

Would appreciate any comments as to date/ function for these. I'm picking that the Cubs badge was a "youth section" of the BL and I know that the Australian RSL worked under a similar scheme. Oddly called the "RSL Younger Set" a badge for which I swapped in exchange for a sample of whisky! That's a story in itself......

The Women's Section badge is a one-piece strike and has NOT merely had a standard badge applied to the ornate shield.

Mike, you'll be in a good position to advise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blassted.jpg (43.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg blassted1.jpg (36.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 23-11-20, 09:19 AM

The maker on the Cubs badge is our old friends the Birmingham Medal Co.
Old 23-11-20, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

Nice badges , the Women's Section one is a standard bearer belt plate badge. I have one with a smaller 'lion head' that has a Gaunt makers mark and two screw post fittings. Gaunt had the original contract for BL badges (1921-1928) and then the Birmingham Medal Co. took over until 1945/46 when Gaunt got the contract back.

EDIT : Just spotted that your badge has a safety pin fitting , I've seen an example with two 'tabs' so wonder if yours is a 'modified' version ?

BL badges were made with the larger lion head until 1945 when the smaller size was introduced , so I would guess your's is pre 1945.

The Cubs badge is fantastic ! Here are some details I found on-line :

"The Cubs were introduced in 1935 and each month details were sent to its members telling the stories of "Peter and the Gang"

Members of the club under the age of fourteen and war orphans were given their own badge and membership card and were encouraged to do good deeds for ex-servicemen.

The club didn't survive the war however being "disbanded" due to a paper shortage in 1941."

There is a British Legion Affiliated Scout Troop cloth badge for wearing on the uniform, but not a metal one. It takes the form of a blue badge with the British Legion emblem in yellow on it and the wording underneath the emblem."

The Birmingham Medal Co. had the contract for BL badges , from 1928-1945 , so that fits in with when the badge was issued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Belt Plate.jpg (71.7 KB, 10 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 23-11-20 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 24-11-20, 12:16 AM

Hi Mike

Really good to get this information and I'm very grateful to you for providing it.

I'd been told about the Cubs badge by another collector and then, a few weeks later, saw this one for sale!

It all makes sense about the link with Cub Scouts/ British Legion/ "lion cubs" now!

Any guess as to the survival rate of these badges (i.e. every dealer hasa box of them)?

Last edited by dumdum; 24-11-20 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Poor typing: "hasa" should read "has a"
Old 24-11-20, 12:18 AM

Unless there is such a thing as a "hasa box" of course....
Old 24-11-20, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Unless there is such a thing as a "hasa box" of course....
I hasa box for spares/swaps !

Old 24-11-20, 12:17 PM

Quote:
It all makes sense about the link with Cub Scouts/ British Legion/ "lion cubs" now!
Checked my books but can't find much information about the Cubs , in Brian Harding's book "Keeping Faith - The History of The Royal British Legion" there is basically one paragraph.

" It seems to have been intended as a low key propaganda activity among the young : Peter and his friends had a poor opinion of politicians and those who had not joined up in the war , while performing good deeds for ex-servicemen".

So , not really a 'youth club' and possibly the "paper shortage" was just an excuse to stop the political 'propaganda' ?

Old 25-11-20, 07:32 AM

Hi Mike and all other BL fans!

I always enjoy your posts and continue to do so! Here are the latest for comments.

I'd be interested in a date for the "ersatz" BL badge and any comments on the "WG" badge (bought as "War Graves" but could be "Wally's Garage" too....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blpins.jpg (25.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg blpins1.jpg (22.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 25-11-20, 08:43 AM

The celluloid BL badge was introduced in 1944 because of a shortage of metal , don't know when they were phased out again. There was also an 'economy' Women's Section badge that was a tin button badge with a pin fitting.

The WG (War Graves) badges were probably introduced after the 'Great Pilgrimage' of 1928 and continued until at least 1971 (as RBL example shows).

The 'Great Pilgrimage' badges were issued , partially for logistic reasons , to the various 'area groups' attending the 1928 pilgrimage.

There were also similar badges issued to the Women's Section groups , I am guessing that the addition of the 'ribbon' was for quick identification reasons.

P.S I've seen the WG badges described on-line as "Welsh Guards" !

NB. This thread needs to be moved to correct section.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WS Economy.jpg (40.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Pilgrimage.jpg (46.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Women's Section 1928 F.jpg (20.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 25-11-20 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added WS Economy
Old 25-11-20, 10:13 PM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that. I knew that you would have the answer!

I personally liked the "Wally's Garage" bit.....

I did try to find the section but seemed to have forgotten how to post it there ("I did it last time, I know I did!")

You have my permission to shift it!

PS, if you see an "economy" Women's Section badge at a reasonable figure please let me know.
Old 25-11-20, 10:22 PM

Default British Legion...New Zealand??

Hi

I had meant to post this following our recent exchanges (and may have indeed done so before) but thought it might be of interest.

The firm that made this badge was set up in 1921 so it may be reasonable to assume that they produced this badge shortly after this. I've only ever seen two and I bought one of them!

They seemed a little confused as to whether it should be a Queen's Crown or a King's Crown and when I went to count the dots/balls or pearls I went cross-eyed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blnz.jpg (30.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 26-11-20, 10:27 AM

An interesting badge , I haven't seen any information about the BL having any branch in New Zealand .

When the BL was 'founded' the NZ Returned Services' Associtaion was already well established.

Also , the British Empire Services League (later the Commonwealth Ex-Services League) was set up to represents the interests of Commonwealth citizens who had served with either the British or Commonwealth Forces , so the BL would have found it difficult to set up overseas.

The badge could possibly be a 'friendship' item as the various groups were all 'afilliated' with each other ?

The attached badge shows that links between various organisations were clearly visible in badge designs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Malawi.jpg (29.9 KB, 9 views)

Old 26-11-20, 10:32 AM

Quote:
PS, if you see an "economy" Women's Section badge at a reasonable figure please let me know.
I may have a spare one in my hasa box !

Will check at the weekend and let you know.

Old 27-11-20, 06:00 AM

Hi Mike

Have had a look at a newspaper archive and can find dates for the BL in New Zealand around the early 1930s. I also found some of the weird names that were being suggested for the BL or similar organisations.

Will record them add post later.
Old 27-11-20, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I may have a spare one in my hasa box !

Will check at the weekend and let you know.

What is the rate of exchange for poppies?