British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-20, 11:07 PM

Default Actual Glengarry

Hello! I know that from 2006 all scots regiments were amalgated in tothe Royal regiment of Scotland, wearing the same tartan and a blue Glengarry with dice and this badge:

ButI have seen this picture...the soldier at the back wear a kilt with the cameron tartan, and so a glengarry without dice (as cameron did)

And in this picture the first wear the actual glengarry...but I can see the Royal Highlanders regiment glengarry (blue without dice), the Scots highlanders fusilier glengarry ...and even a glengarry with the scarlet and white dice (argyl and sutherland highlanders)

Do you know the reason?
Old 25-11-20, 01:22 AM

With regard to the second photo of the men standing at ease would, the rear rank soldier is a drummer from 4 Scots, and that is why he is wearing a plain dark blue Glen, which is correct.
I am not sure of the third bottom photo, but they could be something like retired soldiers still wearing the Glens and badges of their former regiments.

CB
Old 25-11-20, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

The Pipers and Drummers continue to wear the antecedent ceremonial uniforms. I did not realize it extended to No2 dress as well.
Old 25-11-20, 07:38 AM

So it is a tradition rule!...ok! thanks both for your answer!
Old 25-11-20, 10:28 AM

I may be having a false memory, but isn't the third picture from 2006. The nearest chaps toothy grin and features are quite memorable and I'm sure that photo or similar shots were in the local Aberdeen newspaper 14 years ago on formation. It was a big thing in Scotland and I asked my relatives to save me the newspaper articles from the P&J. Memory does play tricks though.
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 25-11-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 25-11-20, 11:22 AM

Sorry...I can't understand you...this picture was taken after the amalgation right? You mean that maybe was the last time we see the others regiments glengarry?

Last edited by Trubia26; 25-11-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 25-11-20, 11:52 AM

Yes. If my memory is correct and it may not be, the last photo was taken on the day (or thereabouts) of amalgamation to illustrate for the public the existing dress - glengarries, bonnet badges etc alongside the new dress that was replacing them on that day.
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 25-11-20 at 11:57 AM.
Old 25-11-20, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
The nearest chaps toothy grin and features are quite memorable
I immediately had a similar 'flashback' and think I have actually spoken to the guy........ at Edinburgh Castle ! Not 100% sure but chatted with him during a visit back home when my girlfriend wanted a photo with the 'handsome' soldier.

A dig around on Google brought up this :

"Regimental Sgt Major Stevie Hardcastle displays the new cap badge that will be worn by The Royal Regiment of Scotland on August 16th, 2005, Edinburgh, Scotland. "

New Cap Badge Unveiled For Amalgamated Scottish Regiments

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 25-11-20, 12:06 PM

Without confusing you more Trubia, I also kind of remember that the grinning soldier wearing the new SCOTS badge was also wearing Black Watch collars which would put him in 3 SCOTS.
Helpful?
Mark
Old 25-11-20, 12:15 PM

Wink

Blimey Mike it must be the vitamins I'm taking, even his name rings a bell now! Not a good idea to introduce girlfriends to squaddies in kilts though - handsome or not......

Last edited by dubaiguy; 25-11-20 at 12:23 PM.
Old 25-11-20, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Blimey Mike it must be the vitamins I'm taking, even his name rings a bell now! Not a good idea to introduce girlfriends to squaddies though - handsome or not......
It was no problem , I was the handsome Scottish ex-squaddie she was living with !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 25-11-20, 12:51 PM

Now it is clear!!! Thanks a lot...soon I will ask you some questions about dices...and show you a glengarry I adquired in 1987 to ask for help about the correct badge...but this thread is clear as water...thanks again!