British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-20, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi Mike

Thanks again for the comment.

I was discussing the photo problem with a friend after I posted and he agreed with me.

I was also wondering if the Comrades Bandsman badge isn't the standard Bandsman badge with the lyre replaced by a (probably) small Comrades badge?

I do have (somewhere!) a BL badge on a curious pin back shield that I've had for some years. I was told that this was a Bandsman badge but I see that they are slightly different from the standard effort.
Hi Mike

See my recent post for that pin-backed BL badge mentioned above. I'd forgotten that it was for the Women's Section. So still for the BL band do you think?
Old 23-11-20, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi Mike

See my recent post for that pin-backed BL badge mentioned above. I'd forgotten that it was for the Women's Section. So still for the BL band do you think?
It is a standard bearer belt plate badge , examples exist with a large 'lion head' and a smaller 'lion head' (probably date related) , there is also a version with a plain top scroll presumably for male standard bearers.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 24-11-20, 12:10 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for all your great information. I saw your comment about the pin being an "after market" addition and I agree.
Old 08-12-20, 10:53 PM

Default Comrades of the Great War - Merit badge

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and have a moderate collection of WW1 and WW2. They are mostly OCA, sweetheart and Home Front.
With regard to Comrades of the Great War I have a Merit Badge. asked Mr Google about it but he came up empty for once.
If any of you know what it was awarded for (apart from Merit ) I would love to hear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COTGW Merit 1.jpg (124.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg COTGW Merit 2.jpg (65.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 27-12-20, 01:38 PM

Sorry , missed your post.

Although the Comrades of the Great War were one of the "founder organisations" of the British Legion many of their branches/clubs continued under their own 'banner'. There are still numerous clubs but they shortened the name to simply "Comrades Club".

It is possible that your badge is a similar idea to the British Legion/RBL service awards , these are badges/medals presented for between 10 - 50 years membership/service.

The RBL "For Merit" badge is given after 25 years service.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBL For Merit.jpg (17.8 KB, 10 views)

Old 27-12-20, 03:34 PM

Can't add anything, but this has been a very interesting discussion!

Terry
Old 05-01-21, 11:24 PM

Default National Ex-Servicemen's badge?

Hi

Just seen your post on the Merit badge. A nice item. Size?

It's also good that it hasn't suffered from enamel loss which can happen when open work badges like this get bent/ trodden on or "flexed".

I'm also re-posting a photo of a badge that I've had for some time but for which the identification has eluded me so far.

It's around the size of the standard small Comrades badge and I'm guessing that "N.E.S." is "National Ex-Servicemen's"

No maker's mark or association number and while most of the pre-BL groupings used the motto "JUSTICE" this one has gone for "LOYALTY". Clearly the coat of arms in the centre makes an appeal to the United Kingdom.

Not seen another but maybe one of the members has another 10 tucked away!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nes1.jpg (31.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-01-21, 11:23 AM

Nice badge , I haven't come across any information about 'N.E.S' in any of the books I've read. The "Associated War Comrades" is also an usual title , so I'm wondering if the 'S' refers to Society ?

As there were numerous "Old Comrades" Associations plus the "Comrades of the Great War" could there have been a 'National' group/society set up to bring together members of the various other organisations. ?

Old 07-01-21, 04:02 AM

Hi Mike

Many thanks for that. I've posted this before but so far you're the only reply! Never mind, I really appreciate what you have contributed to this and any other post(s).

Could well be "society" but there was that strong label of "Ex-Servicemen" bandied about like a badge of honour. Let's face it, when you read of what they went through, I think anyone would be happy to be called an "ex-serviceman".

I suspect that this is one of those "poor players" (Shakespeare reference here!) who "strutted and fretted their hour upon the stage" [of political and social life] and then "was heard no more" (more Shakespeare!).

I also believe that, and please tell me your thoughts, that this might have been an early attempt to gather together those disparate elements that were promoting their own cause(s).

Oddly enough, the badge was listed on that well-known seller of everything from needles to anchors and I was the only bidder for a fairly nominal price!
Old 07-01-21, 04:04 AM

Sorry. Just read your post in more detail. Yes, I see you also think the way I do-an attempt to unify all those (warring... ) factions!
Old 09-01-21, 08:15 PM

I am posting this in case it is of interest to the readers of this thread. i am not sure about the writing as it is in pencil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comrades 001.jpg (101.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Comrades 002.jpg (93.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Comrades 003.jpg (93.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Comrades 006.jpg (98.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-01-21, 03:24 AM

Hi

Many thanks for that. A nice, unusual document. I think that I've got one put away somewhere so I'll drag it out.

From memory, it's made out to a "Richard Grant" but I presume that it is not THE Richard Grant....

There is often a number written to one side of this document and I'm guessing that this is the number to match the Comrades badge.

Anyone care to see if they have badge and certificate which might help confirm this idea?
Old 10-01-21, 03:26 AM

Yes, there's the number on the right side of your certificate!