British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-08-17, 10:40 AM

Default polar bear

I was given this bear by a retired RAF officer years ago. He served in Iceland during WW2 and said that these were worn unofficially by RAF personnel serving there. I have some idea that US personnel also wore a polar bear patch. Any comments?
Cheers
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF bear obverse.jpg (103.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RAF bear reverse.jpg (111.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 24-08-17, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike, the patch was for the 49th (West Riding) Division who garrisoned Iceland for a period of time. The patch with the polar bear looking down was the first version. A Canadian contignent for the garrison also wore the sign. (There is some controversy about this. Some information suggests the patch was a souvenir made up and issued to the Canadians when they left Iceland.) US troops replaced the British garrison in 1941. The US garrison also adopted a polar bear patch, but it was significantly different in construction compared to the British types.
Old 25-08-17, 12:41 AM

Here is a pic of my grandfather while serving with the Royal regiment in Iceland. You can clearly see the polar bear proving they were worn. Have looked for one of these patches for a while now. Cheers Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polar.jpg (37.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 25-08-17, 01:09 AM

Thanks, very interesting. But was my informant correct to say it was worn unofficially by the RAF?
Mike
Old 25-08-17, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike, in my understanding there would be no authorization to wear the patch, as you have indicated. It would be highly unusual for RAF personnel to wear such.
Old 25-08-17, 02:28 PM

The RAF did not like formation badges so if it was worn in Iceland by RAF officers serving alongside Iceland Force - which although largely made up from elements of 49th Division was not called 49th Division- it would have been done unofficially.

My research had only thrown up one example of an RAF officer wearing a formation sign which was that of 9th Armoured Division which his squadron, as part of the RAF's Army Co-Operation Command was serving alongside.

I would be interested in hearing of any other examples of Army formation signs being worn on RAF uniform.

Jon
Old 25-08-17, 05:13 PM

Not a formation sign but I suppose similar; some RAF Arnhem resupply crews wore the Parachute Regiment cap badge above their breast pocket in late 1944. Supposedly as a token of appreciation for their efforts.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 20-11-20, 04:51 PM

Yes, the US Army did wear a polar bear patch for the Alaska Defense Command. There are actually quite a few versions of it. Here's a picture of the ones I collected about 15 years ago.

Terry
Old 20-11-20, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

The US version of the Iceland occupation patch is the profile of a polar bear. Some more information here:
https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...-bear-patches/
Old 22-11-20, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hello Mike, the patch was for the 49th (West Riding) Division who garrisoned Iceland for a period of time. The patch with the polar bear looking down was the first version. A Canadian contignent for the garrison also wore the sign. (There is some controversy about this. Some information suggests the patch was a souvenir made up and issued to the Canadians when they left Iceland.) US troops replaced the British garrison in 1941. The US garrison also adopted a polar bear patch, but it was significantly different in construction compared to the British types.
There is a book just on this patch worn by the USMC, the first ones they were issued were UK stock of the West Ridings badge.
Old 22-11-20, 06:58 PM

Ok - so I like obscure books on badges
Old 23-11-20, 07:43 AM

Hi, in Aug 2010 a member, Hinrik W D, gave chapter and verse on Icelandic produced Polar Bear flashes and showed his impressive collection. Well worth looking at, best wishes Mike