British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-11-20, 02:57 PM

Default ASC / RASC

Hi All,
About 10 years ago, I discovered that my father, who had passed away about 10 years before that, had spent WWII in the RASC. He had never mentioned his war service to me, although, somehow, I had always known that he had spent the last year or so of the war in Italy. Anyhow, this discovery inspired me to collect the badges of the RASC, and I decided to also include the badges of the earlier ASC. You will see that I ended up with a frame full of various badges, collar dogs, sweethearts, shoulder titles and buttons.

This frame has hung on my wall ever since, and now that I've returned to badge collecting, I am wondering whether to hang onto this ASC/RASC collection, or find new owners for all of these items, and invest the proceeds into my new Suffolk collection. However, I don't really think that there is a lot of interest in the Corps badges, and there probably isn't very much of a market for them. What would you do ?

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-11-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 22-11-20, 03:21 PM

I think there is a lot of interest in the ASC & RASC items.
I have a small collection of these from ASC up to the present day RLC.
I would love to have this many badges in my collection and in my opinion I think you should keep these in tribute to your late father but this is a decision you will need to make.
Best wishes in what ever you decide.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 22-11-20, 03:25 PM

I too would keep them as a tribute.

Also if you tried to sell them individually you would probably only get buyers for the nicer badges, ie Victorian, Officers etc and be left with all the rest.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-11-20, 06:36 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Keep them mate
Old 22-11-20, 06:47 PM

I would tend to agree ASC/RASC badges don't attract the value of the service they gave in both World Wars. Much under rated but essential. Keep them.
Old 22-11-20, 08:21 PM

Hello Chris,

You have an excellent collection there, so much so that i am salivating right now.

You should be proud of this collection, as most of us are. It shows everyone the various changes in designs throughout the years from 1890's ASC through to the 1949 RASC badge. Obviously it is made for your father and should be realised by everyone. I feel that as a collector to this Corps items it would make you a pretty good return on most of the badges shown.
But !!! Like everyone, it was made up to represent your dad's service and so i feel that your committment to him is more involved in this presentation than meets the eye.

If you was to sell it "Complete", how much would you ask ??

Pm me your price, as i believe i may have a buyer for you. This would not be for me, as i already hold most of the badges within this frame/display.

kenblake2002@yahoo.com

Good luck

Ken (The Fatboy)