British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-20, 01:33 AM

Default Admiralty badges

Hi all

Here are my two "admiralty" badges for comment and discussion. I've included a standard 1914 badge for size comparison. The only thing is that I couldn't get it to lie flat!

That one is also a little unusual as it has no backstamp (Dingley, Restall,etc.) and is unnumbered although I think that we've already explored the reasons for these badges "escaping" the numbering system.

I bought both the other Admiralty badges at different times, thinking that they were both the same but clearly they aren't. One is plated and the other appears to be nickel. It has also had the addition of some paint (black or very dark blue but I'll go with black).

The slight "nibble" near the "MIR" on the plated effort is where they have cut out the blank (planchet?) for striking and have got a little too close to the previous blank. You see this on some coins too I'm told and they command a premium as "errors"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg admiralty1.jpg (25.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg admiralty2.jpg (28.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 26-11-20, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the very interesting photos , it shows there were 'variations' around.

This brings the total number of this badge I have seen reach five , none with makers marks. The 'paint' may simply be a 'modification' to make the badge appear different to the original version but was this done at the time these were issued or at a later date ?

I know you won't mind if I 'edit' the photos and add them to the other thread for comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the badge 'numbers' fit in with the different finishes/style.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted