British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-20, 07:07 PM

Default LRDG just sold

Hi All,

thoughts please on this LRDG badge recently sold...(just for reference, trying to build up a picture of what is good or bad)

Cheers, Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LRDG.jpg (81.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg LRDG rear.jpg (25.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 24-11-20, 07:20 PM

An original badge from a reputable dealer...

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0724.jpg (69.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 24-11-20, 07:25 PM

Nice badge but at £950 very much on the high side IMO.
Old 24-11-20, 07:35 PM

Default LRDG

Many thanks Keith and Luke.

Mark
Old 24-11-20, 11:11 PM

950 Quid I know these are dear to collectors, but what a shoddy excuse for a badge....

CB
Old 24-11-20, 11:55 PM

Cool LRDG

Arguably the most successful of all the SF units of WWII who helped and influenced the SAS and the PPA, they were a legend in their own time.

If you collect SF badges this one should be top of the list IMO, hence the price.

Rob
Old 25-11-20, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Arguably the most successful of all the SF units of WWII who helped and influenced the SAS and the PPA, they were a legend in their own time.

If you collect SF badges this one should be top of the list IMO, hence the price.

Rob
Yes, that I do not deny, but the badge itself, as are most SF badges around the world, is singularly lacking in design, quality and character; at least in my opinion. I do not collect SF badges as I can neither afford them nor appreciate them intrinsically.

CB
Old 25-11-20, 08:20 AM

Certainly not, in any way whatsoever, shoddy, I have always felt the complete reverse to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
950 Quid I know these are dear to collectors, but what a shoddy excuse for a badge....

CB
Old 25-11-20, 02:22 PM

It’s a badge that has grown on me greatly over the years.

No doubt it lacks the more heraldically inspired and traditional features of most pre-1920s badge designs but it is actually very elegant with its domed rim, clean curves and ‘modern’ font. These all scream 1940s to me with the late-deco vibe.

The scorpion too whilst doubtless not many peoples favourite arachnid was a worthy symbol of both their theatre and modus operandi. Stylistically the scorpion is very well rendered and nicely incorporated into the badge in both a visually pleasing and structurally practical manner.

In its time a modern conceptual badge befitting the modern conceptual unit intended to wear it.
Old 25-11-20, 03:48 PM

Default badge

Very eloquently put Luke..

One of the badges I would love to have in my collection, but sadly out of reach.

Mark
Old 25-11-20, 06:17 PM

I'd very much agree with Luke too - though its outside the timeframe of my collecting - and the budget!
Old 25-11-20, 06:41 PM

The number of these badges that are out there is a joke. For a regiment whose personnel never numbered more than 350 the amount of LRDG badges around is ludicrous. I get the impression that each man on qualifying for the regiment was handed a bucketful of the things. The badge in the opening post is supposedly a theatre-cast badge like thousands of other regimental badges were and is surely open to doubt to it's authenticity just as all the others are. We are all aware of the amazing work of the LRDG but 950 quid for a theatre-cast badge is beyond ridiculous.
Old 25-11-20, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The number of these badges that are out there is a joke. For a regiment whose personnel never numbered more than 350 the amount of LRDG badges around is ludicrous. I get the impression that each man on qualifying for the regiment was handed a bucketful of the things. The badge in the opening post is supposedly a theatre-cast badge like thousands of other regimental badges were and is surely open to doubt to it's authenticity just as all the others are. We are all aware of the amazing work of the LRDG but 950 quid for a theatre-cast badge is beyond ridiculous.
So far as I know a significant quantity of badges from the LRDG QM Store were discovered circa 2011 and came onto the market. I am no LRDG or SF collector but my understanding is they were all genuine unissued wartime stock. This may explain the quantities you refer to, in my opinion this does not make them any less genuine than those worn, otherwise a great many other badges many on here own would not be genuine if authenticity is judged on the proviso of them having been worn.

Rather this is the flip side and opposite scenario to officious QMs collecting in badges and disposes of them before issuing a new pattern as we experience with the 12th London 2nd pattern cap badge.

If I’m mistaken I’m sure the SF gurus will correct me.
Old 25-11-20, 09:34 PM

....think the quantities are the abundance of "fakes"of LRDG badges around , ( the Boslys example is 100% correct) in retrospect from forty odd years of collecting not many genuine ones appear for sale; and when they do they do not last long ....before being snapped up ...........the LRDG were all exceptional individuals indeed.
regards steve

Last edited by arrestingu; 26-11-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 26-11-20, 01:39 AM

Hence the price of original badges.

As highlighted, the majority of badges seen for sale are reproductions.

Paul