British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-20, 01:52 AM

Default 4th Field Arty badges un offical

Hi all
has any of our Aussie collectors seen these before and has any info on them.

Thanks Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-10-20, 06:39 AM

Hi Rob,

The late Colonel Arthur Burke, in 4th Field Regiment, Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery, Historical Guide, self-published, Brisbane 2003, claims it was designed and produced by 4th Field Artillery Brigade AIF soon after its arrival in Egypt in 1916. Worn as a collar badge on the service dress tunic.

It was entirely unofficial. I think Arthur got that information from the Australian War Memorial Military Heraldry Section. Where they got it from is anybodies guess, and quite possibly they just accepted its appearance in Jeff Cossum's 1903-30 badge book as gospel. There is nothing in the unit war diary regarding it.

It might very well have been 4th Field Ambulance AIF.

The war establishment of 4 FA Bde when it went to Egypt was 643 all ranks including attached personnel and 1st Reinforcements. Approximately 1300 examples required and I am amazed at how many examples continue to turn up on ebay, such as the pair you've illustrated.

You would have to draw your own conclusions Rob but these badges don't look like they've been made in Egypt. I am an avid Australian Artillery post-1902 badge collector but I've never bothered obtaining an example of this badge for my collection.

Keith
Old 07-10-20, 08:48 AM

im with Keith
wouldnt bother with them and they look like they were made yesterday.
im sure these are the 3rd pair ive seen for sale on ebay in the past month or 2.
bc