British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-17, 10:46 AM

Default Help identifying unit of men serving in Iceland in 1941

I am wondering if I could enlist the help of the experts on this forum with a piece of research I am currently conducting?

An Icelandic lady is trying to find out more about a man with whom her mother was friendly in the summer of 1941. I have a name and some other information about the man in question, but am hoping that identifying the unit in which he served will allow me to pinpoint an individual person. My contact has sent me some photos of the man in question and his comrades and I am trying to determine which unit they are from based on their uniforms and insignia.

My best guess at the moment is that they might be from the Durham Light Infantry, on the basis that (a) the cap badges (very blurred in the photos I have) are roughly the right size and shape and (b) 2 battalions of the DLI seem to have served in Iceland in the relevant timeframe.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can offer any help with this. I'm sorry that the photos aren't better.

Thanks

Pete

Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Soldiers in Iceland 1941.jpg (28.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.JPG (82.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0308.JPG (65.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Soldiers on motorcycle.jpg (61.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Unidentified cap badge1.jpg (18.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Unidentified cap badge2.jpg (20.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 26-09-17, 10:54 AM

I would agree that the cap badge is that of the Durham Light Infantry whose 10th and 11th Bns served in Iceland.

Jon
Old 26-09-17, 11:05 AM

If this is the same soldier as is riding pillion on the motorcycle, then the unit is 11 DLI. Afternote: The officers seem to have captured the only waitress in Iceland wearing black stockings! Typical! Mike
11 DLI Iceland.Unident_Pte.jpg

Tags
1941, british army, iceland