British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-17, 08:33 PM

Default Any King's Colonials (American) Experts ?

Hi Gents,

I don' have any examples of the King's Colonial badges but I'm trying to educate myself.

In regards the 'British American' examples, can I ask if there are any experts here that can clearly demonstrate the way to identify a totally correct example?

Maybe too much to ask but thought it worth a try.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 06-03-17, 08:55 PM

Hi Roy,

This interests me as well, but so far, I have not found much information anywhere. however, here is an old thread i did find recently:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=50826

But generally, there doesn't seem to be a lot of definitive info on these. e-bay of course, is awash with what i assume, 99% of the time, are copies. I guess, like many Victorian era badges, the quality of the badge may be a deciding factor; i.e. sharp detail to the front and back. Most e-bay ones have very poor definition. I see this thread above (and another embedded in it) also discuss the lugs, and that info makes sense.

Anyway, hope it's some help. Do you know of any reference material (besides Kipling & King)?

Cheers, Tim

PS hopefully some of the posters in the thread will see this and lend a hand.

Last edited by Chipper; 06-03-17 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-03-17, 09:01 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that. I have seen the thread you mention (along with others) and came away more confused, although with all due respect, that was probably me and not those who contributed. I don't know of any other reference than K&K.

I would eventually like similar details on the other King's Colonial badges too but didn't want to confuse the thread.

My hope was that someone here would have studied these a little and perhaps have a lot more experience than I and of course be willing to share it.

Some of these are a little pricey and I would much prefer to get a little educated before forking out the cash, so let's hope for a few 'scholarly' replies.

Cheers,

Roy

Old 06-03-17, 10:16 PM

Cool King's Colonials

I certainly am no expert on these, but I do have a New Zealand Squadron badge which I am sure is original and is very well defined on thin gilding metal with blackened pinched loops.

Typical of course of original Victorian badges where quality was paramount.

Rob
Old 06-03-17, 10:40 PM

Thanks Rob,

Although my comments were to the 'American' badges specifically, I would also welcome comments and images that can highlight the correct features of any of the King's Colonial badges. This is an area I have little knowledge of and with so many fakes out there, some really clear clarifications would always be appreciated - by me at least.

Cheers,

Roy

Old 07-03-17, 10:32 AM

OK, I'll contribute what I can, which is not much:

These are the lugs from the New Zealand "E" squadron I have, (formed out of the "C" Australasian squadron in 1902). The lugs have feet, but they are very nicely and neatly done, (and the seller previously ran it past the forum where a couple of Lads liked it: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...%27s+colonials )

I do imagine there will be many varying opinions as to what is or isn't OK with these badges, because information is scarce and the fakers busy, so I guess we should try and keep an open mind, and listen to all the opinions that hopefully will come this way before making as informed an opinion as possible.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.48.43 AM.jpg (51.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Chipper; 07-03-17 at 10:33 AM. Reason: grammar issue
Old 07-03-17, 05:52 PM

ba 002.jpg

ba 001.jpg

ba 003.jpg

Here is the one I have, no idea on value just saw it and liked it. If they are scarce I might consider selling it. Cheers Brian
Old 07-03-17, 05:59 PM

Hi Brian,

If it is totally correct (I have no idea hence this thread) and if the price is right, I may be interested. I wouldn't mind a really nice Boer War example, not sure if this is or not. Any comments gentlemen?

Cheers,

Roy

Old 07-03-17, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Brian,

If it is totally correct (I have no idea hence this thread) and if the price is right, I may be interested. I wouldn't mind a really nice Boer War example, not sure if this is or not. Any comments gentlemen?

Cheers,

Roy
Roy,

From those photos, my advice - DONT buy it.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-03-17, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi Brian,

Cheers,

Roy
Roy, The King's Colonials never saw overseas service in the Boer War. They were raised in November 1901 as part of the Home Defence Forces.