British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-10, 02:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Hi Andy,
Thanks for the comment.
I have always thought this was a nice looking badge but always had my doubts because of not ever seeing a lugged one.
I bought it at a car boot for £5 and the seller said it was original.

Cheers
Paul

Paul,
that's probably a third of its value! They are often described as Victorian/Edwardian dependent on whether or not Crowned. As a general rule lugged (1898-1903) English and Welsh County Regt badges sell for around £15. Sometimes a fair bit more as they are scarce when compared to the later slidered versions. Long slider 1903-06 and standard slider post 1906! (there are exceptions). However this should not be regarded as the period of wear as lugged badges in QM stock would be issued to new recruits until stocks expended. Also due to the durability of metal badges, lugged badges could and probably were worn for many, many years later!

Andy

Andy
Old 15-10-10, 11:58 AM

I think it comes down to a level of fanaticism !
I have 23 different versions of KLR 4362A/1896 - and I know of at least 3 others !

But I digress ...

Paul, your badge was almost certainly made between November 1896 and March 1903.
there was no change in Pattern of the W York until .... ?1950s / amalgamations ??

Last edited by KLR; 15-10-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added info for Paul !
Old 15-10-10, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Hi Dave,
I buy a badge because i haven't got it, not because the ears are a millimetre over to the left of the one i have. In the old days these badges were referred to as swaps, now they're variations. Each to his own.

TTFN.
The trouble is these days they're referred to as investments.

The loops vs. shank argument and the difference in value is wholly down to the dealers and it's a load of old bollocks. All to their own, if you like looped ones then buy them and you have to unfortunately suffer the premiums for what is basically the same badge unless you can pick up a bargain.
Old 15-10-10, 08:40 PM
Former Member

Keith,
I beg to differ! A lugged Infantry badge is far more accurate to date than a slidered badge, i.e. late 1890s to 1903 (and then an in-service life with, as always a few exceptions).. So issued in a very short period. Therefore a lugged badge is at least 107 years old and a true antique.. As already alluded to above, the same badge (if both are genuine of course) with a slider and without a Makers Mark could be anywhere between 1903 and the mid 1950's and even later!

Value must be atributed to genuine age?

I'm sorry if anyone got the hump with my earlier comments, but each to their own!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 15-10-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 19-12-10, 09:34 AM

Default YORKSHIRE REGIMENT IN BOER WAR

HI Guys,

Can someone please show me a good example of the badge which would have ben worn by OR's of the Princess of Wales Yorkshire Regiment in the last year of the Boer War? I would assume that that would still be the Victorian version?

I am going to need one to go with my medal collection so if anyone knows of one for sale ...?

Eddie
Old 19-12-10, 11:46 AM

Hi Eddie,
I do not have a badge but was recently at the Green Howards museum at Richmond and I took a few photos of the displays that may be of use.
Behind glass so excuse the poor quality, hope they may be of help.

Regards
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020055 copy.jpg (53.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg P1020057 copy.jpg (50.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 19-12-10, 11:50 AM

Here's a link to the Green Howards Museum which shows the badges worn by them over different periods.
http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/capba...nfjg4knj25lmb3
Old 19-12-10, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

While I appreciate they are the regtl museum, I don't agree with some of their descriptions especially the WW1 ORs badges.
Old 19-12-10, 03:47 PM

Eddie,
have a look at this album http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=399 I am not sure what headdress would have been worn in SA but the Oval badge was worn on the Pith helmet and the circular wreath type was worn on the Broderick. Would the regiment have worn a sloach cap? From a very short history of the regiment by Powell it looks as it was only the 1st bn that served in SA.
Cheers, Dave
Old 15-01-11, 08:55 PM

Default West Yorkshire Regiment

I have bought a couple of these on ebay this week. This one has arrived first, and it will shortly be heading off to Tamworth for repair!

Any idea what era it is from? I'm happy with it, but if anyone reckons it's a dud, let me know! (GGA - your one hasn't arrived yet)

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (100.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (99.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 17-01-11, 04:57 PM

Here's another one which arrived today courtesy of Grey Green Acorn. Very nice indeed. I see that on this one the hind legs are unvoided. Is this just a die variation, or is it an indication of age? Any opinions welcome!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (98.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (97.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 17-01-11, 06:39 PM

There is a chronological factor with the unvoided / voided hind legs on the 1896 Pattern King's Regiment cap badge. But this has been ascertained only from looking at lots of photographs and lots of examples. There's definitely a Forum member who has been subjecting the W Yorks badges to the same scrutiny !!
Old 17-01-11, 07:15 PM

I'm curious on the answer to the void and non void, as I have both and considering getting rid of one of them.
Old 17-01-11, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
Here's another one which arrived today courtesy of Grey Green Acorn. Very nice indeed. I see that on this one the hind legs are unvoided. Is this just a die variation, or is it an indication of age? Any opinions welcome!

John
Hi John,
I have a few variants of West Yorkshire's in my album
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=726
IMHO I would think this is a die variation judging by the differences that can appear in the tails and legs.

Regards
Paul
Old 18-01-11, 03:26 PM
guest123a

Default NON VOIDED WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT

I have a large number of variants of the good old run off the mill West Yorkshire Regiment OR's cap badge, as already pointed out generally there are variations of the tail and legs (joined at the front or not). Other common variations are the horses main, (pointed or smooth) the scroll (there is a thread on here somewhere regarding West Yorkshire scrolls so I wont elaborate) and of course the horse its self, either slim and gracefully or fat and stumpy.

As a rule I keep away from the non voided leg versions (this is the version of the horse you see in the volunteer re-strike badge), I'm not saying that the non voided badges are all re-strikes, they may be a manufacturers variation (particually with only non voided rear legs) and are usually found on the less gracefully fatter horse which is only found on a slider.

Regards,
Marcus

Tags
west yorkshire, yorkshire