British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-18, 11:57 AM

Default NORTHAMPTONS ID / FURTHER INFORMATION

I opened a new thread as this may have been lost in the clutter of something i have previously posted.

These were given to me by someone whose uncle was a Northants man. The WM is not in either KK. Interestingly it has a large key at the base of the castle. The rear has what looks like the remains of a slider and what looks like a broach clip that has been removed.

Any help appreciated.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3704 (1).jpg (52.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3705 (1).jpg (48.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-04-18, 10:46 PM

It is the pre-1900 pattern with the "Regimental Castle" design but it does not look to be of Victorian quality to me. I am no longer a collector but I used to have an all-white metal version but with the post 1900 castle design. I never did find out who wore them.
Old 09-04-18, 08:15 AM

Default W/M Northampton

Is it just possible that this was a badge stamped out in white metal and it never had the G/M scroll attached?

Rob
Old 09-04-18, 11:01 AM

Rob, as we all well know, anything is possible with regards to British cap badges.. As pointed out in the opening post, there looks to be the remains of a slider but that does not fit in with the pre-1900 pattern badge unless it is a pagri badge. The badge also appears to be noticeably smaller than the normal badge next to it. If it is a genuine badge then I think I would go for it being for wear in the pagri but that is just wild speculation.
Old 09-04-18, 01:14 PM

Smile W/M Northampton

These badges with the Regimental castle were issued up to 1916 and there is an "all brass" version of it, so quite possibly it was made with a slider. I will dig my all brass badge out sometime.

Rob
Old 09-04-18, 01:54 PM

I have an brass one with slider, I've always considered it "genuine" and with some age to it, albeit I've never been sure what it is, perhaps an old die used for WWI economy.
Old 10-04-18, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I may be no wiser but I am better informed.

Chris

Tags
infantry