British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-02-15, 01:03 PM

Default RCCS Pouch Badge (Band)?

Dear Friends

Especially any of our Canadian friends.

I have attached a photo back and front of what I believe is a Royal Canadian Corps of Signals Pouch Badge and highly probably a Band Pouch Badge. This badge has appeared on the Forum before I think.

The badge was recently purchased by a Forum Member for his collection but both he and I are looking for some hard and fast information about this badge and possible band.

It is my thought that this is indeed a Pouch Badge and in my opinion not for the RCCS band that was formed in 1952 but as used by members of the band of 2 Signal Regiment RCCS which was formed in 1926.

I am also of the opinion that the cast badge was made by Henry Potter of London and Aldershot but there is no identification of this on the badge.

I am really hoping and this is the reason for this Thread that some one can produce a photograph of 2 Signal Regiment Band post 1926 or any information they may have about the badge.

I have been in touch with Joe Costello and in his web site RCSigs.ca he shows one of these badges and although he can not give an accurate answer he also believes it is a Pouch Badge. He also states that the badge he depicts has post fittings not loops as the attached photo shows.

Any information that any member of the Forum can provide would be greatly appreciated and any photos would really be spectacular.

Here's hoping some one can assist with this small request.

With my very kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCCS Band Pouch Badge.jpg (64.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg rccs BAND BADGE REVERSE.jpg (63.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-02-15, 07:15 PM

Hi Chris,

That would be 2 Signal Battalion in 1926.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 25-02-15, 08:04 PM

Hi Chris,

Shoot me down if I'm wrong but as it has 'ROYAL' on the roundel would it not be post 1936?

That would narrow the frame a little.

Regards,

Colin
Old 25-02-15, 09:03 PM

Good point Colin, but it was the Non Permanent Active Militia that did not have ROYAL on their badges. However, it does lead to the question was 2 Signal Bn NPAM or Regular Army, it was NPAM so the badge is from 1936 if 2 Signal Bn.
Quicksilver
Old 26-02-15, 12:25 PM

Default RCCS Pouch Badge

Dear Colin and Cliff.

As I do not actually know when 2 Signal Btn band was formed or when it was disbanded as this information has not been available to me the badge could have been made anytime between 1926 and 1936.

Do not want to shoot you down Colin but Cliff is correct.

The dates also go well for the manufacturer who was well established at the two dates indicated. This manufacturer is only through a dealers recollection as to where he got his copy of the badge which had been in a frame for over 60 years so is by no means hard and fast just a theory.

One small point. The badge that Colin now owns has loop fastenings and the badge that Joe Costello shows on his RCSigs.ca site he says has post fittings. Interesting. This could mean the possibility of 1. A Pouch Badge 2. A Cross Belt Badge or 3. A Cap Badge. Makes for even more thoughts as to what it is.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Old 26-02-15, 07:33 PM

Hi Chris,

2 Signal Bn NPAM was formed in 1920 from the 1907 2 Signal Company in Canada. The Signal Band was raised as a part of the battalion in 1926. Pse see page 114 and 115 of The Royal Corps of Signals Supplementary Volume, which has details of Commonwealth Signal Corps, regiments, and squadrons.
If the badge you refer to is from the 2 Sig Bn Band NPAM then it would not have the word Royal on it until the mid 1930s. Perhaps it is not a band insignia but a cross belt badge from another battalion. Lets hope some new info comes out of Canada.
Quicksilver

[QUOTE=Chris Walker;300755]Dear Colin and Cliff.

As I do not actually know when 2 Signal Btn band was formed or when it was disbanded as this information has not been available to me the badge could have been made anytime between 1926 and 1936.

Tags
canadian signals