British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-08, 03:25 PM

Default Board of Ordnance

This is a re-post. Originally posted in an incorrect forum.

The attached pic is of a presentation medallion. It is about 3 1/4 inches across and bears the Arms of the Board of Ordnance on the face, and the words "Presented by the Master General of the Ordnance"on the reverse. I have inquired at several UK museums (RAOC/RLC, RE, HM Tower of London, Royal Mint, etc) and the Association of RAOC/RLC Conductors. No one has been able to tell me the age and purpose.

The Arms were authorized in 1825 and the BoO was disbanded in 1855 so this should fix the age. However the appointment of MGO was continued as a courtesy title. The article "smells" more recent than 1855.

Can anyone provide information?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BofOMedal.JPG (72.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ordmedal1.jpg (18.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 25-11-08, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up

Just in case anyone else is interested in this. I have been fortunate to stumble across a recipient of this medallion. Here is an extract from his reply to me:-

" I was awarded the "MGO Medal" in 2006 for technical excellence in support of the army. Mine is identical to the attachment. Very rare to be being issued and it is through MGO also recommdation process is very limited so not many are out there."

The gentleman involved is a civilian manager for a major defence contractor. My copy is older than this. I have had it for eight years and I got it from the estate of a US Army General Officer who presumably had a posting to UK or was otherwise engaged in a joint project with the MGO in the 1950s or 1960s.