British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-08-18, 12:48 PM

Default WW2 Tank Corps badge with screw posts

I have had this lying around for a while now. I dont even remember where it came from, but it is an oddity. At first glance , it is the common WW2 SA Tank Corps beret badge. According to Owen's book, the badge was in white metal and worn from September 1941 to March 1943. The badge illustrated is of chrome metal and has 2 screw posts instead of the more conventional lugs. One finds screw fittings on SADF beret badges, but if you go back to before say 1960 one only really found screw fittings on pouch and cross belt badges. Was it made for a movie ? Can anyone throw some light on this ?
Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc1.jpg (46.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg tc2.JPG (111.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 14-08-18, 05:51 PM

Cool Screw posts

Some collectors used to solder screw posts to the rear of badges so to fix them on boards.

Are yours lead soldered or brazed?

Rob
Old 14-08-18, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
I have had this lying around for a while now. I dont even remember where it came from, but it is an oddity. At first glance , it is the common WW2 SA Tank Corps beret badge. According to Owen's book, the badge was in white metal and worn from September 1941 to March 1943. The badge illustrated is of chrome metal and has 2 screw posts instead of the more conventional lugs. One finds screw fittings on SADF beret badges, but if you go back to before say 1960 one only really found screw fittings on pouch and cross belt badges. Was it made for a movie ? Can anyone throw some light on this ?
Thanks
Mike
Mike

Not always pressed white metal, seen them in brass, bronze and lead as well. This looks like one of those Egyptian bronze castings that has been upgraded with a coat of chrome and addition of some screw posts, the screw heads being left on. Never seen another like it but don't think it is period done. Looks like solder has been used? One could always check the screws and see if they are Imperial or Metric to pin point when these modifications were done. Just my 2 cents worth!

Brian
Old 15-08-18, 07:47 AM

Here is a close up . The posts seem to have been very neatly attached in the process of manufacture although there is some solder on one post that seems to have come later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tc3.JPG (115.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 15-08-18, 08:04 AM

Are the studs metric or imperial thread?

Rob
Old 15-08-18, 06:03 PM

Determining whether the screws are Imperial or Metric is "above my pay grade", but I'll see if I can get someone who would be able to tell me.
Old 15-08-18, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natal01 View Post
Determining whether the screws are Imperial or Metric is "above my pay grade", but I'll see if I can get someone who would be able to tell me.
I like that one Mike! Not that difficult believe me......... I suppose I have now volunteered, " I believe the old military adage goes, never volunteer for anything,"

Brian