British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-20, 10:48 PM

Guys, thanks for all the information. As you might guess. Not much NZ uniform knowledge here is US.
I am posting some better pics of the patch in the pocket. I laid it on the uniform in a spot where there once was something sewn.
There was also a piece of green cloth in the pocket. Probably just I rag, but I will show it anyway.
Based on advice from this group, I bought two NZR titles. Had to go to 2 different dealers. But they will work.
Any thoughts on why the yellow patch would have been on this uniform?
Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200705_171529.jpg (60.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200705_171548.jpg (53.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20200705_171606.jpg (35.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200705_171648.jpg (69.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200705_171536.jpg (54.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-07-20, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffweil View Post
I am posting some better pics of the patch in the pocket. I laid it on the uniform in a spot where there once was something sewn.
Thanks again
Interesting position where you have placed the patch.

It is unlikely that your yellow patch is original to the jacket, and if it was, it would be positioned in the center of the back just below the collar.

The "spot where there once was something sewn" is interesting, as when there were big pushes by allied forces involving New Zealand troops before the issue of back patches, NZ troops were supplied with three pieces of white calico, that was sewn on the right shoulder at the back and one each on the back of the upper arm.
Old 07-07-20, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry for duplication - didn't realize there is separate NZ section.
Need help determining if this is correct WW1 insignia for NZ 12th Nelsons Infantry.
Tunic has correct cuff rank. Question is about the New Zealand bullion shoulder tabs and the collar insignia.
Thanks
Hi Jeffwell .

They say a picture(or pictures in this case) paints a thousand words . Here is a W.W.1 officers cuff rank jacket in my collection (circa 1918/early 1919) . It is badged for the 4th Otago company ,2nd Otago battalion , but will give you an idea of badge/patch placements . The WW2 'New Zealand ' patch is a slip on, so it might slip off ? (unless it is stitched) Cloth pips/stars should be easy enough to find , but the Canterbury back patch not so.If the back patch patch hasn't been there then there is no need to add it .

Cheers Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Officers 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Officers 2.jpg (44.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg officers 3.jpg (43.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg officers revo 20200708_050844.jpg (29.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by pukman; 07-07-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Guys, thanks for all the information. As you might guess. Not much NZ uniform knowledge here is US.
There was also a piece of green cloth in the pocket. Probably just I rag, but I will show it anyway.
Based on advice from this group, I bought two NZR titles. Had to go to 2 different dealers. But they will work.
Thanks again
Just as an aside, I have seen a W.W.1 New Zealand officers jacket that was tailored in New York . The transport Athenic run aground in Jamaica (event pictured) during its voyage , carrying the 39th reinforcements .The troops then transferred to a relief ship , and stopped off in New York, on their way to the United Kingdom.I think this was the only New Zealand transport to stop off in the U.S.A during W.W.1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg athenic.jpg (33.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by pukman; 08-07-20 at 05:42 AM.
Old 13-07-20, 08:50 PM

Thanks Lain. This is very helpful. I have purchased a pair of NZR titles. The cloth ones just slipped off.
Very interesting in rear patch. Yes. Mine has no holes or patch ghost in the center- just on the side

Again, thanks for the information.
Old 13-07-20, 08:51 PM

Thanks so much. Yes, my uniform only had something sewn on right shoulder - nothing in center.
Thanks again.
Old 13-07-20, 08:52 PM

Interesting - makes sense.