British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-07-15, 02:26 PM

Default University College Exeter STC Slip On Titles

Hi

First post on here, so please be gentle! I picked up this interesting pair of shoulder titles for the University College, Exeter Senior Training Corp yesterday. My understanding is the STCs were like OTCs but aimed at students on engineering and practical degrees rather than the leadership routes of OTCs (this is conjecture on my part as I have only found one account of the STCs so far).

Does anyone have any further information on this as I can find very little? I paid £10 for the pair with some ephemera thrown in, which I didn't think was too bad a price as I can't imagine they are that common.

Many thanks

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image36 - Copy.jpg (14.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-07-15, 04:34 PM

A very nice pair of titles and not common.

The pre-war OTC, which had contingents at schools and universities was renamed during the Second World War to avoid confusion with the Officer Cadet Training Units (OCTU) formed by the Army to train new officers as the two established Military establishments at Sandhurst and Woolwich were unable to train enough officers.

The OTCs at universities became the Senior Training Corps (STC), those at schools the Junior Training Corps (JTC). After the war the universities regained the OTC title but the JTC became part of the new Combined Cadet Force (CCF).

Somebody more knowledgeable than me on cadet matters can no doubt add to these bare bones

Jon
Old 08-07-15, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the information, very helpful.
Old 08-07-15, 06:32 PM

STC ( as well as JTC ) insignia is generally rare and collectable. I would love to have an actual example of this shoulder title rather than just a photo.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUSTC.jpg (63.6 KB, 24 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 09-07-15 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-07-15, 07:16 PM

Good to see you here Ed.

Jerry