British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-19, 07:39 PM

Default North Staffs cap badge - fake?

The bimetal example on the left is a Narborough Birmingham made example, and I'm fairly confident it's a good 'un, but would like to double check it with the experts please.

I'm really not sure about the bronze/brushed example. I assume it to be fake. Nicely made with crisp detail, but.........? Again, I welcome your expertise. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (98.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (92.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (83.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (79.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 30-08-19, 07:55 PM

The F.N B'ham badge looks OK to me, but looks to have a soft solder reattachment of the slider.
I'm not a fan of the second badge.
Cheers Tony.
Old 30-08-19, 08:09 PM

The F.N. bimetal badge looks nice as Tony says. However the GM badge on the right appears to be from the same die - note the vein pattern in the feathers and the die flaw in the central plume, the shape of the H in ICH (it looks almost like an N), the line of jewels in the coronet etc. This GM badge is undoubtedly a reproduction, it’s been artificially aged and no genuine 1916 GM had a slider that looks that regular and modern.

Alas I believe this to be another FN restrike.

The Martin Marsh catalogues I am in possession of shows a few other obvious FN badges, notably the KRRC (crown shape) and Border Regiment (die flaw under crown) which have sadly fallen into the hands of fakers and are still used to reproduce badges to this day.
Old 30-08-19, 09:14 PM

Tony, thank you for your input. You're right about the solder, looks like a repair job. I can only assume that the badge and slider originally belonged together?

Thanks Luke. I agree that the 'bronze' restrike appears to be from the same die, it is identical to the BM example.

The original stays in the collection. The fake has now been deposited into the Box Of Shame.

Thanks again both of you.
Old 31-08-19, 06:16 AM

Default Border Regiment with die flaw under crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The Martin Marsh catalogues I am in possession of shows a few other obvious FN badges, notably the KRRC (crown shape) and Border Regiment (die flaw under crown) which have sadly fallen into the hands of fakers and are still used to reproduce badges to this day.
Hi Luke,

Do I understand correctly that you believe that Border Regiment badges by Narborough with the "die flaw under the crown" are reproductions?
I've attached a recent purchase of mine.
Should I dump it in my Box Of Shame?

Regards,

Marinus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDR-BADGE-03-1.jpg (69.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg BDR-BADGE-03-2.jpg (68.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by marinus; 31-08-19 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 31-08-19, 07:57 AM

A agree that "FN" dies were used to make restrikes (fakes), I have a Devonshire Regiment bimetal badge from the same dies with an "England" marked slider from the 1970s.

Rob
Old 31-08-19, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinus View Post
Hi Luke,

Do I understand correctly that you believe that Border Regiment badges by Narborough with the "die flaw under the crown" are reproductions?
I've attached a recent purchase of mine.
Should I dump it in my Box Of Shame?

Regards,

Marinus
Hi Marinus,

Not quite. I meant the FN Border Regt die is easily identifiable by the flaw under the crown. Genuine and restrike badges both have this flaw, hence deciding if the badge is genuine makes it more problematic as it’s an exact replica so to speak meaning one is left to rely on other factors to decide originality.

For what it’s worth in my opinion I wouldn’t doubt your badge is genuine.

For me with FN badges the worry is the broad tapering ‘England’ style slider. Clearly these sliders are undoubtedly repro yet the shape is the same as the stereotypically accepted FN slider. So if unmarked and on an FN badge is it an unmarked stereotypical genuine FN or an early restrike from the 70/80s with an unmarked slider from the ‘England’ repro stable. Alas the hazard of true restrikes and whilst I collect some maker marked badges FN is not one I have enough faith in to pay the premium asked/realised nowadays for maker marked badges.

Regards,

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 31-08-19 at 11:53 PM.
Old 31-08-19, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

a Border regt bagde with provenance to 1940s. Same die flaw on the top arm of the cross. The retaining strip in is w/m but the slider is brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056[1].jpg (38.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0057[1].jpg (32.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 31-08-19, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Same die so someone is still producing them albeit now unpierced with lugs so an obvious restrike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Borde....c100010.m2109
Old 31-08-19, 11:08 AM

Default Border Regiment with die flaw under crown

Luke and Alan,

I'm learning a lot on this forum.
Thank you for your replies.

Regards,

Marinus