British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-15, 03:38 AM

Default Any VTC experts?

Hi Gents,

A couple of novice questions regarding Volunteer Training Corps. As far as I understand these started in WWI as unauthorized 'home defence' type units but later became officially recognized. Can I ask if anyone knows of a good history on this topic, further reading or a good website? Also does anyone have a list of these units?

As I explore Cadet and OTC badges just looking to expand my knowledge in this related area.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 29-01-15, 07:44 AM

Roy,

K&K, volume 1 is a good start.
History, units and of course - badges.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-01-15, 08:12 AM
Former Member

Roy,
There are some excellent albums on here

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ge=1&query=Vtc

Andy
Old 29-01-15, 09:21 AM

I agree with what both Simon and Andy have said and members badges along with K&K will you a give a list but an incomplete list.

Whilst there are some nice badges around as can be seen in members albums (in particular TGWB's has a superb collection), there are huge gaps in the knowledge and information available about VTC units themselves.

For my area of interest, I have put some information together from local/regimental archives but as far as I am aware, I don't think there is a complete picture of the VTC on a national level.

I think there is great scope for a book on the subject (some smart Alec's going to tell me there already is one now).

Ivan
Old 29-01-15, 09:33 AM

For a comprehensive list I would recommend that you obtain copies of the recent bulletins of the Military Historical Society.
Ray Westlake has been providing a series of articles on them.
A word of warning though, there are rather a lot of them.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 29-01-15, 10:37 AM

Hi Gents,

Wonderful..! Some great help there chaps. Some superb albums too. And Ivan I agree a some great scope for a book.

Well it's a good job I'm up at 3.30am as it looks like I have some research to do

Cheers chaps a great start, many thanks indeed.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 29-01-15, 01:51 PM

There were a couple of earlier articles in the MHS Bulletins in 1978 by Robert Williams which although dealing with a specific unit, the West Bromwich VTC , contains some information that is relevant to most VTC units.

In the footnotes it states " An excellent general study of the Volunteer Corps is that entitled "Uniforms of the Volunteers 1914-19 " by Ernest J.Martin which appeared in the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research Vol.XVII.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Ernest Martin article ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4325.jpg (64.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4326.jpg (51.2 KB, 28 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-01-15, 02:00 PM

If anyone does have a copy of the article Peter mentions it would be a great resource to share.

Thanks
Old 30-01-15, 09:30 AM

Default VTC Count...

Just to reinforce 41st's comment about the number of VTC's, and to also applaud Ray Westlake's articles in the MHS Bulletin:

There are roughly(!) 671 VTC's named in Ray's articles, up to July 1915.
I have (or have seen) another 123 Headdress badges to VTC's not yet listed.
I have (or have seen) another 95 Mufti badges to VTC's not yet listed.

15 of these Headdress/Mufti badges are for the same VTC, but we're already up to 874 in a little less that 9 months!

As already commented, this is a significantly un-researched field. However, for general information (not necessarily badge related) I would recommend forum member Graham Stewart, who is a fount of knowledge. Other than that, there has been good "local" research done by Badger123 and some of the other County / Regimental collectors, but there is no comprehensive work at all.

I do have the Earnest Martin article, as well as another by Philip Haythornthwaite from 'Guns, Weapons & Militaria', and several Hugh King articles from the MHS Bulletin. I will try and scan / post these in a couple of weeks when I get an opportunity. The contents in each article is interesting, but most of the badges illustrated can also be found in my albums.

Best regards, Tim
Old 22-07-15, 09:25 PM

VTC 1.jpgVTC 2.jpg

VTC 3.jpgVTC 4.jpg

VTC 5.jpg
Did this article for Military Modeller donkies years ago - maybe of some use to you lads interested in the V.T.C.
Old 22-07-15, 10:13 PM

"HERTS V.R." by J. D. Sainsbury (ISBN 0-948527-08-0)

An excellent reference, albeit a one unit publication. Not sure if it is still in print, but you should be able to pick up a copy..........
Old 23-07-15, 12:30 PM

Some time ago ( cant remember the exact date ) Bosleys had a Mossley Hill VTC cap badge for sale in a postal auction. This the suburb of Liverpool where I was born and brought up. I still regret not having put a higher bid on the badge to try and win it as it is the only example I have ever seen.

I have even lost the only picture I had of the badge.If anyone has an example in their collection I would very much appreciate it if they would be prepared to let me have a scan of the badge,

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-07-15, 12:48 PM

Default VTC

For those with time on their hands try reading through the 33 editions of the Volunteer Training Corps Gazette in the British Newspaper Library, or scan their on-line articles- there are only some 22,000 newspaper reports that appeared in the Press during WW1!

The official history of the VTC is 'The Volunteer Force & the Volunteer Training Corps during the Great War', published in 1920 by the Central Association of VTC. There is a copy of this in the British Library, but according to John Sainsbury it is inaccurate in many respects. I would trust John's book if you want chapter and verse on the raising and administration of the VTC, but as already noted, his unit histories only cover units raised in Hertfordshire.

Lastly, there is The Official Regulations for Volunteer Training Corps and County Volunteer Organisations. A copy of this is on-line

https://books.google.com.au/books?id...tions.&f=false