British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-20, 12:00 AM

Default Not again....

Looks to be a horrible costumiers job. An OR tunic mangled for some unfortunate to part with his money on.
This seller has been flogging a huge collection from a Texas collector who had more money than knowledge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-E...UAAOSwl4Ffm0E0
Old 01-11-20, 02:02 AM

Egad! That's horrible!!! I have a couple of Napoleonic British and French costumes in my study just because I like the look they give to the room! But I have to admit for what they are I think they are very nicely done.

Here you can see my Canadian 48th Highland doublet with a sun helmet, and in the far back corner one of the costumes for a British soldier wearing my wife's father's USN officer's hat.

Another view of the room, you can see another of the British Napoleonic uniforms, and just to the left, a fair French 7th Hussars dolman and pelisse with a RHA style busby. On top of the bookcases is my father's flag, an 1850 Belgian cuirassier helmet and on the left an 1879 French Dragoon helmet. The bugle on the wall is LI with original LI green cords.

Third view of the room (actually a small bedroom) showing my 60's era Royal Welsh Guards tunic with a white sun helmet.

lastly, just for grins, my British 11th Hussar Busby, and French 1840's officers shako. Also, you can just see some of my Waterloo Lion monuments. Also, a nice Victorian Parianware bust of a university don that I picked up on my first trip to England back in 1985.

Not trying to highjack this thread, but felt a nicely done costume for the price compared to a real item can still serve a purpose. However, the "uniform" the thread is about would NOT be allowed in my study!!! Oh, and I've had these for a good 30 years now.

Terry
Old 01-11-20, 08:54 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Thank you for sharing your photos of your impressive collection
Old 01-11-20, 09:51 AM

Smile

Terry, if only I had the space . . !

Thanks for sharing some interesting items.

Rob
Old 01-11-20, 07:30 PM

Terry, a splendid display.

Question, do you actually find time to play your guitar?

Regards.

Brian
Old 02-11-20, 04:36 AM

Hi Brian, Yeah, but I'm retired. But still not as much as I used to. I've gone from 60's rock to folk and now that I've been doing Cowboy Action Shooting I got into playing true cowboy songs of the 30-50's, not this hogwash they play today called "country"!

Been in a few groups over the years, but again, not lately.

Do you play?

Terry

PS - my guitar is a late 1970's Alvarez Herringbone. They don't make it any more I don't think. I've tried lots of other/newer guitars but still come back to this one. The frets have slight notches worn in them!Had a cheap 12 string for awhile, and Fender Duo Caster before that, with a handful of other makes along he way. Have had one since I was 16.
Old 02-11-20, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Egad! That's horrible!!! I have a couple of Napoleonic British and French costumes in my study just because I like the look they give to the room! But I have to admit for what they are I think they are very nicely done.

Here you can see my Canadian 48th Highland doublet with a sun helmet, and in the far back corner one of the costumes for a British soldier wearing my wife's father's USN officer's hat.

Another view of the room, you can see another of the British Napoleonic uniforms, and just to the left, a fair French 7th Hussars dolman and pelisse with a RHA style busby. On top of the bookcases is my father's flag, an 1850 Belgian cuirassier helmet and on the left an 1879 French Dragoon helmet. The bugle on the wall is LI with original LI green cords.

Third view of the room (actually a small bedroom) showing my 60's era Royal Welsh Guards tunic with a white sun helmet.

lastly, just for grins, my British 11th Hussar Busby, and French 1840's officers shako. Also, you can just see some of my Waterloo Lion monuments. Also, a nice Victorian Parianware bust of a university don that I picked up on my first trip to England back in 1985.

Not trying to highjack this thread, but felt a nicely done costume for the price compared to a real item can still serve a purpose. However, the "uniform" the thread is about would NOT be allowed in my study!!! Oh, and I've had these for a good 30 years now.

Terry
A great collection, I have a few scarlet tunics but nothing from the Napoleonic period

Jerry